The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

container gardens

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Peaches79 on April 13, 2005 10:06 PM
Hi I am wondering if it is possible to grow veggies and herbs in planters where I live I am not allowed to plant in the yard so I have two options to either have no garden or to use planters and since no garden is NOT an option for me I am trying to do a container garden...Any helpful hints would be great, also can I make a compost pile in a large planter? If so do I need to purchase earthworms for turning the compost?
Help!!!
by phoenix on April 13, 2005 10:22 PM
[wayey] PEACHES
i grow alot of my herbs in containers on my porch because i dont trust the people that cut our lawn
i have several window boxes(not attached to my windows) i set out on my back porch for my herbs and various plants and flowers. large medium and small all over the place with size appropriate plants. your compost question: i use a plastic bucket, that use to hold kitty litter,for my compost. it works very well for me,and its easy to mix it(i dont use worms)i just pop off the lid and with my little trowel i mix it up. i mkeep my bucket in the house next to my fridge.
hopefully weezie will see your question shes a composting maniac [grin] you can use the search forum:type in compost then hit search and youll see various topics/entries on compost.
i hope i was able to help i cant imagine not being able to garden [Eek!] one of the places i use to live wouldn't let me garden in the yard (owners mom did all of it and wouldn't let any one else join in [Razz] ) so thats when i started to do alot of container gardening. i hope i helped you some [Wink] i'm sure that many of the other more wise gardeners in the forum will have better advice for you [thumb]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by tkhooper on April 13, 2005 10:44 PM
Definitely herbs can be grown in containers. I'm to lazy to go outside when I want chives so they are right next to the chopping block. Basil, parsley, cilanto & marjarom also did fine. Green onions are also growing in a pot in the window right next to the tomatoes I haven't taken outside and probably won't now due to nasty nieghbor pest. And I just had some lettuce sprout indoors that I plan to keep indoors. From what I have been reading here on the forum the most important consideration for indoor gardening anyway, is light. And my apartment gets lots of light all day long.

I was just thinking you said containers not indoors. So I maybe way off base here. If I am just ignore me. I mean well but I'm not terrible bright.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 15, 2005 04:27 AM
Peaches,
We have a few gardeners here that garden in
containers... very easy to do.
And lot's of fun...
Papito in California does all of his gardening
in containers...

And Phoenix is right on target with everything!!!

quote:
hopefully weezie will see your question shes a composting maniac
DID SOMEONE SAY COMPOSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTT???? [Wink] [Big Grin]

What Phoenix said is right on, do the FORUM SEARCH and type in COMPOST... you'll come up with alot of posts on that subject...
If there's still anything that's still not clear do not hesitate to ask, always very~very happy to help out!!!

Weezie

P.S. We have a few gardener's that garden indoors too with containers too...
so don't forget to ask anything you need to know!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Peaches79 on April 15, 2005 11:54 PM
Hi everyone thank you all for the advice some of my plants are inside and some are on my porch. My seeds are growing so fast .SorryI am just soooo excited I was sad to think I wouldn't be able to have a garden now it is working
Thank you all again!!!
by weezie13 on June 23, 2005 08:49 PM
Hey Peaches,
Just wondering how your strawberries
and compost is doing???
Keep us posted!!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: