The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help w/ strawberries

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Peaches79 on April 13, 2005 10:06 PM
Hello again I also have a question about strawberries I have tried serveral times to plant them in a container I bought for starting them and no matter where I have put them ( in the house or outside) ants have found them and I guess they eat the seeds cause I haven't even seen sprouts what should I do or should I give up on seeds altogether and use starter plants?
by phoenix on April 13, 2005 11:55 PM
hello again to you peaches [grin]
i would use starter plants. i did that last year and i only had to fight off squirrels and chipmonks,never saw ants [grin]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by weezie13 on April 15, 2005 04:19 AM
Peaches,

I'd go with the plant starts too,
only cause I've never seen anyone selling seeds..

Doooooooo tell me, where on earth did you find
strawberry seeds???
SO VERY CURIOUS!!!

And don't forget to plant the plants half in and half out...(You don't want to plant too deep or the plant won't live, and same for when it's too far out of the ground...)

If you do a FORUM SEARCH and type in STRAWBERRIES, and you'll find one of the posts I posted, that had an illustration on how deep to plant them..

Weezie

P.S. Please let us know [gabby] how you make out
when either way you pick to do your strawberries.
We [Cool] LOVE [Love] updates [critic]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Peaches79 on April 15, 2005 11:50 PM
thanks for all your help ps thanks I already saw your posts on how deep to plant big help thankyou also I bought the seeds in a strawberry kit @walmart I bought it for my daughters I tried plants last year the squirels ale them all and the ants ate the seeds...I went ahead and did starters again
by PAR_Gardener on April 20, 2005 08:02 AM
I've found that seed tends to be heirloom varieties; alpine strawberry seeds are not difficult to find. Most catalogs sell starter plants. If you are starting strawberries from seed, you need to stratify them: i.e. put them in the freezer for 2-4 weeks. Then plant them. That usually gets them going.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: