The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

greenhouse

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: green worms on broccolli| Next thread: Greenhouse »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on January 08, 2004 06:12 PM
For my big birthday last Sept. my husband said he would like to build me a greenhouse instead of making me a party - which was FINE with me! I did some research, but haven't found one yet because I have a problem with the location we have to put it in. The only place to connect one to the house for winter gardening is by the sliding doors that lead out of our basement. The problem I have with that, is that the only other outdoor exit from that room is the garage door, and I'm not too happy about people having to got through the greenhouse to get out to the backyard. Plus, I like to put my wood drying racks of laundry out there to dry in the sun, and it would be a nuisance to have to drag them through the greenhouse.

That said, I really would like access to the greenhouse during the freezing winter months without having to bare the elements - what I was thinking was putting a free standing one next to the sliders and my husband could build a removable vestibule from the sliders to the greenhouse. The only problem here is that I can't seem to find one that has the door on the side instead of the end. I found one, but it was EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE.

I always seem to come up with these problems with no easy solution... and as a result don't get to have what I would like.
Any suggestions?
Am I really going to have to lose the use of that door to gain what I've been wanting for years?

Help??? [thinker] [dunno] [thinker]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Renee on January 08, 2004 07:12 PM
How big were you thinking it should be?
by Renee on January 08, 2004 07:49 PM
http://www.frostproof.com/catalog/greenhouse.html
these look really nice and have a side door
by plants 'n pots on January 08, 2004 08:03 PM
Renee ~

Thanks so much for those terrific links! I will look into them further. The one that has the side door doesn't say which one it is - I'm going to try to call them.

The area that we want to put it has a 12 x 12 concrete slab patio, so we could fill most of that area, depending on where the door is.

-
 -
by Jillie on January 09, 2004 04:37 AM
Oh, Lynne, what a Sweetie you have for a Hub. A GREENHOUSE!!!! WOW!
Are you so excited you can't stand it??? [grin] Heck, I'm so excited for you I can't stand it.....

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on January 09, 2004 04:48 AM
Jillie~ You are just so cute and sweet!!! [Wink] [kissies]
Can I bottle you up and save you for a rainy day?!?

As for the greenhouse... still researching what to do about the sliding door. But it will be a dream come true when it comes to fruition! [Love] [Cool] [flower]

-
 -
by Jillie on January 09, 2004 04:59 AM
Awwwe thanks, Hun.... [Embarrassed]

Are you already dreaming of what you can grow??? What have you thought of???

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on January 09, 2004 05:13 AM
I would definitely like to grow some tropical flowering plants, and mostly get a good start on seedlings. I am able to start a few in my house, but don't have great window coverage.

I'd also like to be able to overwinter more plants - right now I have 2 geraniums by those sliding doors, and a surprise annual lobelia that seeded itself in a hanging basket that had a bouganvillia that never grew or flowered and is now dead. [tears] The lobelia was flowering up until a few weeks ago indoors - never had that happen before - the possibilities with a greenhouse are endless! [thumb] [grin] [clappy]

-
 -
by Jillie on January 09, 2004 05:31 AM
Ooooh, oooh,.... [wayey] [wayey]
thought of SCENTED geraniums???

Dang, I'm getting into YOUR greenhouse.... This is so cool!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: green worms on broccolli| Next thread: Greenhouse »
Back to Thread index