The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Should I put this here?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by tkhooper on April 08, 2005 02:13 PM
I bought a big pot for the lettuce I want to grow indoors. I have 30 pounds of potting soil including some of the light stuff. But it isn't enough to fill up this pot. Can I use some of the soil from the garden on the bottom and the potting soil for like the top 8 inches or so?

-
 -
by noneofyourbusiness on April 08, 2005 06:54 PM
Yes, you can use a little dirt from outside. But I would suggest you just mix it in with the rest. Just make sure it's good soil, not rocky, or sandy.
by tkhooper on April 08, 2005 07:18 PM
Thankyou None,

I appreciate you taking the time to walk me through this. I took your suggestion and bought a light. I hope I got the right kind. It is a 4 foot florescent shop light on a chain so I can move it up and down as necessary. It says it takes a T12 florescent light, will that be good enough?

-
 -
by obywan59 on April 09, 2005 09:43 AM
Shop lights work fine, that's what I use. I've never paid attention to what kind of bulbs I have, I just buy the cheap ones.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tkhooper on April 09, 2005 02:16 PM
Yep that's the one 0.94 for one bulb versus a couple of bucks.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 11, 2005 04:18 PM
TK,
What kind of lettuce are you growing???

I love Black Seeded Simpson kind..
And Romaine...
YYYUuuuuummmmmmmmmmyyy!!!

I love to pick it fresh, and put vinegar and
kosher salt on it..
Tasty..***I love vinegar***

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on April 11, 2005 05:38 PM
Yes Romaine!!!! Yummy with vinegar

But I bought some "4 Seasons Heirloom Lettuce" don't have a clue what it tastes like so if it comes up I will have two suprises. [Big Grin]

I planted 6 seeds to begin with and figured I would plant the same amount each week so I get a staggered harvest. Fortunately the seeds are large enough that I can see them.

The picture on the front of the package looks like a wrinkled purple cabbage rose with dark green centers. They are Burpee seeds that I got at wally's world. I am hoping for the best.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum