The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

growing lettuce indoors

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: growing Jade plants| Next thread: Growing Lysimachia 'Beaujolais' »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on March 31, 2005 06:04 PM
I have some burpee's 4 seasons heirloom lettuce that I would like to grow indoors. Can anyone help me with this?

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 01, 2005 07:12 AM
TK,
I know Noneofyourbusiness grows alot of
stuff indoors, let me PM him and he can
give you a hand!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by noneofyourbusiness on April 01, 2005 07:12 PM
It's easy, and fun. What do you have to start with? Do you have any lights, or what are you planning on doing? do you have a whole room? Or are you planning on doing i by a window? I need more info pls.

I currently have 2 heads of lettuce, celery, watermelon, and corn growing indoors.
by tkhooper on April 01, 2005 08:11 PM
Hi,

I have the seeds of course, an inexpensive general purpose potting soil (it's a bit on the heavy side). I window box planter 30" long and about 6" deep and about 8" wide. The planter allows for watering from underneath. Miracle grow all purpose liquid fertilizer. A south facing window that everything else just loves, but maybe to hot for lettuce?

-
 -
by noneofyourbusiness on April 02, 2005 03:41 AM
Ok, sounds like your off to a good start. The window shouldn't be to hot, as your indoors, and it should be cooler inside. Try to get a lighter soil, or add some perlite to it to loosen it up. I've never personally done it from a window, so I can't garantee great results ( I use grow lights), but you should get some form of result, as long as they get good light. Make sure you rotate the pot every few days, so the plant doesn't grow lopsided.

For food, I would recomend you get something a little better. I don't like miracle grow for vegetables indoors. I find it's too strong. You need something you have better control with. I personally use General Hydroponics brand, Maxi-gro, and Maxi-bloom, for all my plants.
by tkhooper on April 02, 2005 06:31 AM
Thank you so much none,

I feel more secure about this now. The produce at the local market (only one in taxi distance) is really awful so this is the only way I'm going to get fresh veggies.

-
 -
by noneofyourbusiness on April 02, 2005 08:48 AM
That's what I do, I grow all mine indoors all year round. If that's what you wanna do, you really should buy a good grow light, like a HPS, or MH light.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: growing Jade plants| Next thread: Growing Lysimachia 'Beaujolais' »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: