The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Favorite ground cover?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by netwiz on July 04, 2006 03:44 AM
I've been trying to decide which ground cover to use for a sloped area in my front yard. I would prefer something evergreen and hope for a little color. I already have vinca growing EVERYWHERE on my property and want to avoid it at all costs.

I purchased seeds for catmint thinking it would be perfect then read that my 3 cats will probably destroy it by eating and rolling around in it. I didn't realize it was in the same family as catnip!

My 3 top choices so far are moss/creeping phlox, blue rug juniper and the pink/purple creeping thyme. Does anyone have experience with any of these and would you recommend them?

What is your favorite ground cover and why? I had no idea how hard this decision was going to be!

Joanne
by netwiz on July 04, 2006 03:51 AM
I forgot to mention that the slope gets full sun. [Wink]

Thanks!
Joanne
by RugbyHukr on July 04, 2006 01:14 PM
english ivy is evergreen & tolerates full sun. no flowers.

cotoneaster has flowers (nice scent) for 6 weeks in late spring/early summer. plus red berries afterwards through the winter. it is evergreen. consider planting it with room to spread & fill in. but leave some gaps. in the gaps try gomball or some other low-growing spiraea.

3rd idea, make a wildflower bed. perennials + annuals. buy seeds that will give blooms at different times. supplement with bulbs if you wish early spring blooms.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by netwiz on July 05, 2006 03:40 AM
Thanks Rugbyhukr, I love the idea of wildflowers. The don't think I could keep the ivy contained very well and I just ripped out some cottoneaster I wasn't too fond of.

Do you think the wildflowers would keep the weeds under control? We also have some poison ivy that pops up there as well. I'll look into this, thanks!!

Joanne

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: