The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

temporary ground cover

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: temple jade| Next thread: temporary removal of liner pond »
Back to Thread index
by Jiffymouse on January 19, 2004 05:59 PM
my front "yard" is about 30x40 give or take a few. i want to start some kind of ground cover that we can occasionally walk on. i have stepping stones to provide the path from the front door to the parking area, but i need something low (very low) around it. any ideas?
by Sherri on January 19, 2004 08:30 PM
Jiffy, got a couple ideas for you here, Roman Chamomile(Richter's)is really cute, and can be cut like grass, or Soapwort, really pretty pink flowers(from july-sept) spreads to cover larges areas rather quickly and even grows well in poor soil.(6-8"). Um, magic carpet thyme or minus thyme are more good ones, magic reaches 2" high, and minus 1" high. I've seen pictures of huntington carpet rosemary, and it's beautiful! Periwinkle is beautiful too but more for shady areas. Hmm, let me think some more and get back to you. hope I've been of some help!

-
by Sherri on January 19, 2004 08:41 PM
Jiffy, go to www.hedging.co.uk and look under ground cover plants. Tons of great ideas! [thumb]

-
by Jiffymouse on January 19, 2004 09:14 PM
[thumb] lots of help. i will have to check out which ones will tolerate the unbearable heat and humidity that our july's and august's bring!

thanks a bunch
by Newt on January 24, 2004 12:27 AM
Hi Jiffymouse,
Some great suggestions already. Take a look at this site for more great stuff.

www.stepables.com

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by Barb H. on January 29, 2004 01:42 AM
Jiffymouse,

I bought some steppable lemon thyme last year...It did smell wonderful however it didn't spread as much as I would have liked...but that may be because it was put in a pretty shady area.

I still enjoyed it, and when the ground was moist it smelled wonderful. I used it around my stepping stones in a flower bed to gain access to my porch from the front.

Barb H.

-
by boxmonkey on January 29, 2004 09:49 AM
I wonder if English Ivy would be any good for that?
I've seen lawns covered in Ivy and it can be very pretty.

Custom Weathervanes - hand made

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: temple jade| Next thread: temporary removal of liner pond »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: