The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Harvesting garlic???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Harvesting Corn| Next thread: Harvesting Lettuce? »
Back to Thread index
by Cheyenne on October 11, 2004 12:54 AM
Hope I've gotten the right board to ask this....

We just dug our garlic bulbs and spread them on cardboard to dry. Some were divided and replanted.
Is this what we were supposed to do?
How do I keep them when they are dry?

-
by sidheblooms on October 14, 2004 07:22 AM
hi there..and congrats on harvesting your garlic!! that is one of my favorite fruits of the earth, and i use them in everything!

as for your harvest...do they still have their tops on them? if so, you could do some of those really fancy garlic bairades..thay are always cool! but if you have already plucked them...them make sure that you wipe all excess dirt off them, and you are right to store them in a cardboard box or brown paper bag in your cool basement, boot room or garage. as long as it is dark and cool.

other then that...you could always try to prepare some if you have a huge surplus. try to dry it, or mince and freeze it fresh.

and if you still have too much..i could give you my address.....heheheheh!

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by sidheblooms on October 14, 2004 07:24 AM
and yes..i think it is wonderful that you replanted some...keep em going!!

where did you get your original bulb from? what kind of garlic is it..the big purple cloves..or smaller pugnent ones?

wont be no vampires around your place!

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by Cheyenne on October 14, 2004 04:21 PM
I have no idea what kind they are - they are a mild flavor. We don't have many. DH came home one day with these sets that were given to him so we could start a bed. We use a lot of garlic in cooking so he thought we should raise our own...LOL

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Harvesting Corn| Next thread: Harvesting Lettuce? »
Back to Thread index