The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

French Lavender

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: French Lavender| Next thread: french marigold seed or fluff »
Back to Thread index
by mich168 on July 23, 2004 02:08 AM
Scored 2 plants at the .99 cent store. Promply repoted them, since the roots were coming out of the bottom of the pots they were in.
They are sitting on my deck, getting lots of sun. and I keep them watered.
Does anyone have any growing tips? Also, when do you cut the blooms off? I think mine have gone to seed.
NEED ADVICE! LOL.
Did I post this in the right section??

[thinker]

-
 -
by Lilylilac on July 23, 2004 03:26 AM
[flower] Sorry, don't have any advice for you on how to care for the plants. But, I wish I had a .99 store around here that sold plants. I would be One Happy Shoppin Fool.

Great find! [flower]

-

zone 5
by mich168 on July 23, 2004 07:12 PM
It is cool. Have to pick out the plant carefully, half of them are half dead!

ANYONE got any care tips on French Lavender??

-
 -
by weezie13 on July 24, 2004 02:10 PM
Hi Mich,
What kind of dirt did you plant them in???

And don't over water, ok I guess for a few days or so when being repotted, but they don't need too much water after.....

And they love sun!!!

If your flower's are just about done, you may be able to cut them off *save those sticks and use in a potpouri or something... or take a silk ribbon and tie them in a bundle and put in your underware drawer or hankies, etc..
They may reflower for you???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by mich168 on July 25, 2004 01:38 AM
I just used houseplant dirt. They are sitting on my deck, getting lots of sun, but they seem to dry out fast.
Well, they will be on a no-water diet for 5 days while I am on vacation.

-
 -
by moondance on July 25, 2004 10:31 PM
I have lavender growing-jujst love them. They like lots of sun. When you first plant them they will seem to be dying but just keep an eye on them and they will perk right up. I assume that you cut off the dead stalks? As for "harvesting" them. You can let them go to seed but usually I cut them off when they are in bloom. Hang them up to dry-lovely! You can let them go to seed-cut them down and use them for cooking (cookies-yummy) put into soap- make facial tonics etc. Very useful plant. I also like to dry the stalks after I have removed the seed and burn them. The whole plant is great from leaves on. Here in Maryland I have to mulch them for winter, but my mom lives in the lavender capital of Washington and she says to be sure in the winter to cut them down. They do grow into a farly large plant.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: French Lavender| Next thread: french marigold seed or fluff »
Back to Thread index