The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tortilla Soup!

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Torby's indoor train garden| Next thread: total newbie »
Back to Thread index
by Winter Rosebudd on January 29, 2005 02:17 AM
Upon request! [Big Grin] This is a bit of work. We usually plan a party around it and its well worth the effort. Each person gets a bowl, fills it with chips and stock, then garnishes it with a plethora of condiments. It can be done vegetarian too! My recipe is a little rough, so you'll have to adjust seasonings.

Ingredients for the stock...

*2 chickens (whole or cut up, doesn't matter)
*big pot of water
*2 large onions chopped
*3 spigs fresh epazote, or 1 tblsp. dried (this is a mexican herb, I've done without and it came out fine)
*Knorr powdered chicken boullion to taste (you'll probably need at least 1/2 cup of powder in a big pot of water)

For the stock addition you'll need...

4 small cans of El Pato Chile de Freso (mexican tomato sauce) or 4 small cans of tomato sauce + 2 tsp. good hot chile powder
1 large onion chopped

Put chickens, along with water and other main stock ingredients in a large stock pot and simmer for several hours until meat is falling off the bone. Taste and make sure its got enough boullion, adjust if needed. Remove chicken and remove bones. Set chicken aside.

In a saucepan, combine tomato sauce with onion and simmer low until onions are cooked, about 20 minutes, stirring. Add this to main stock and stir well, simmer another 15 minutes. Add chicken. The stock is finished!

For the condiments, you'll need

48 corn tortillas sliced in strips
8 Pasilla or ancho chilis..fresh and sliced in rings
Vegetable oil for frying

A bowl of salsa fresca (tomatos, onions, cilantro)
A bowl of diced avocado chunks
A bowl of diced Queso Fresco (if you can't find this cheese, grated jack is fine)
A bowl of Mexican Crema (Heavy whipping cream will work)
A bowl of lime wedges

OK...ready? LOL! Heat your oil and fry the pasilla pepper rings until browned a little. Drain on paper towels, transfer to a bowl. Now start fryin those chips. No...sorry...the ones in the bag don't work. They fall apart and turn to mush in the soup. Now when all the chips are fried, put them in a nice decorative basket.

Set up your production line for everyone to make thier soup. You'll need large soup bowls.

So get a bowl, fill it with chips, ladle on some stock, spoon on a little salsa fresca, spoon on some fried pasillas, spoon on some cheese, spoon on some avocado, squeeze a little lime and drizzle with some cream.

Phew. Like I said...its a party idea. [Big Grin] It is really delicious though!

And vegetarians can just use thier favorite vegetable stock and voila!

-
by Jiffymouse on January 29, 2005 05:03 PM
thank you [kissies]
by weezie13 on January 30, 2005 04:02 AM
Winter Rosebudd,
That sounds like alot of fun!!!
And very good!!!

quote:
Now start fryin those chips. No...sorry...the ones in the bag don't work. They fall apart and turn to mush in the soup. Now when all the chips are fried, put them in a nice decorative basket.

I used to work in a restaurant that the chef used to make his chips like that, they were awesome!!!
I loved them, and I had forgotten about them too..
(well, it was from about 21 years ago he had done those)

Thanks for taking the time to write that one up!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Winter Rosebudd on January 31, 2005 05:25 PM
No problem! I hope you can try it someday. [Wink]

-
by Merme on April 05, 2005 09:45 PM
Hi everyone ~

I thought you all might enjoy seeing this recipe again.

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Torby's indoor train garden| Next thread: total newbie »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: