The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

anyone have a good recipe using ground turkey?

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by ashley1 on January 29, 2005 12:14 AM
Ground turkey is less fattening than ground meat. Anyone have a great recipe to cook something using ground turkey the'd like to share?

Plants are awesome!!
by Winter Rosebudd on January 29, 2005 01:26 AM
You can pretty much use it in place of ground beef! We make meatballs for spagetti and shepards pie...but my favorite are blue cheese turkey burgers...here goes...

2 lbs ground turkey
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 beaten egg
1 clove of garlic minced
1 tblsp. fresh chopped parsley
1 cup of crumbled blue cheese (yes...we love it)
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Fry in a skillet. But DON'T grill these babies...that cheese lights the whole yard on fire.
[Big Grin]

We love em on onion rolls with a perfect slice of tomato!

-
by obywan59 on January 30, 2005 01:20 AM
Those sound good! I'm going to try them.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by ashley1 on February 01, 2005 04:12 AM
this sounds good, I may try this tommorrow. thanks! whate are onion rolls?

Plants are awesome!!
by Winter Rosebudd on February 06, 2005 09:21 PM
Just the hamburger buns with the onions on them...or sometimes they're called kaiser rolls.

-
by obywan59 on February 24, 2005 08:30 AM
I tried the Blue Cheese Turkey Burgers and really liked them. I ate one plain though, with no bun. Next time I'll try them with a bun and tomato and such. I went back on the South Beach diet for a week to try and shrink my belly and you can't have bread. My pants had been fitting tighter since all the Christmas goodies. Lost 7 pounds and my 34's are fitting loose. [thumb] I'm going to try my 32's again.

I think I have a recipe for ground turkey meat loaf in an old Harrowsmith magazine. I'll try to find it.

-
Terry

by mike57 on February 24, 2005 10:38 AM
Brown gravy turkey meatloaf.
INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon butter
3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon minced white onion
1 cup minced green onions
2/3 cup minced carrots
2/3 cup minced celery
1/3 cup minced green bell pepper
1/3 cup minced red bell pepper
2-3/4 teaspoons minced garlic
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1-1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
4 eggs
2/3 cup ketchup
2/3 cup half-and-half cream
2 pounds ground turkey
1 cup fresh bread crumbs

2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons butter, divided
5-1/4 shallots, minced
1/3 cup minced red bell pepper
2/3 cup minced yellow bell pepper
1-1/3 sprigs fresh thyme
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2/3 cup half-and-half cream
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons minced garlic
1-1/3 cups beef stock
1-1/3 cups chicken stock
2-3/4 roma tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
2/3 cup ketchup
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute white onions, green onions, carrots, celery, green and red bell peppers, and garlic until soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, nutmeg and cumin. Stir in eggs, ketchup and half-and-half. Blend in vegetable mixture from skillet. Add ground turkey, and bread crumbs. Mix well with hands, then shape into a loaf. Place into greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 70 minutes, or until cooked through and nicely browned. Let rest for 10 minutes, then serve with gravy.
To make the gravy: Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute shallots with red and yellow peppers until tender, about 10 minutes. Season with thyme, and black pepper. Stir in half-and-half, garlic, beef stock and chicken stock. Increase heat to high, and boil uncovered until liquid is reduced by 1/4, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and ketchup. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir in remaining tablespoon butter, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Strain gravy, discarding thyme before serving.

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by obywan59 on February 24, 2005 07:11 PM
That sounds good Mike!

Here's the one I was talking about.

Thanksgiving Loaf

1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onions (2 small)
1 stalk celery, chopped
3/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs from firm bread
1 1/2 cups peeled, grated apples
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Glaze:
1 tbsp. cider vinegar
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions and celery for about 3 minutes, or until softened. Stir in thyme and sage and let cool slightly.

In a large bowl, combine the onion mixture, turkey, bread crumbs, apples, egg, parsley, mustard, salt and pepper; mix well. Pack into an 8-by-4 inch loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes. Pour off any fat. In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients. Brush over the top of the loaf and bake for 30 minutes longer, or until the top is golden and the juices run clear when the meat loaf is pierced with a skewer.

Serves 6

From Harrowsmith Country Life September/October 1991

-
Terry

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: