The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Blackberries

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Ann1 on December 12, 2004 02:44 AM
It's definitely not blackberry time, but they are one of my favorite fruits. I got a plant from my cousin and the berries were delicious--but the plant was very thorny and the best fruit was always deep inside of a mass of thorny branches.

I don't use those spring type clothespins--bless the dryer--but my husband had a supply of them to hang screenprints to dry, so I stole some to pick blackberries with!! [grin]

By pinching the pins and grabbing a problem branch with it, swinging it around so it would stay far enough away, I was able to reach in and get the best berries on the plant!!!

Some areas might take two or more pins but it really did work. I always meant to send the hint in to someone, but never did--so here it is.
Hope someone can use it.

Anyone have some shoots of blackberry they don't need?

Ann
by Cricket on December 12, 2004 03:02 AM
I'm not familiar with your climate but here in the northwest, blackberries are VERY invasive. [shocked]
by Ann1 on December 12, 2004 11:34 PM
Thanks for the information, Cricket. When I was in MO we had a huge yard and I planted it in a portion that was farthest away from the house. It did spread for which I was thankful since it grew on a tiny bit of fence which we shared with a neighbor had a pitbull. I had seen him trying to bait the dog to fight, and was very unhappy when the dog began jumping the fence around him to get into others backyard. But our male Airedale and or the blackberry bush kept him out of our yard.

I will approach adding blackberries cautiously because of your reminder and since there are some farms around where you can pick your own. I have already accumulated many many seeds from the gracious penpals here and hope I can get them all planted.

Ann1
by weezie13 on December 13, 2004 12:09 AM
Ann and Cricket,
In the wild black berries can become invasive,
that is their nature to not only send runners under ground to probagate themselves, they also have the ability
*I think, I know raspberries can do this* to root from the tips of the canes as they bend over....

It's also in it's nature to protect it's fruit with the thorns...from birds and animals in the wild, that's how it preserves it's self....

They also can be reasonably managed as long as you keep a watchful eye on them, and clip out the old growths from last year that produced the fruit, it will never produce fruit again, and they are bienniels I thought **again, raspberries do this as well** is they send up a new shoot, that produces nothing, until the next year, after it's fruited, cut it down in the fall time...

There are several varieties that are out now that are thornless... and you can also espalier them I believe, it's a process where when they come out of the ground, it's tied to a rope or string of some sorts, and trained up the pole..
One pole is at one end of the bed and another at the other, two rows of string/rope/wire are run between the two and the cane is tied to it as it the runners run...
and you keep an eye on them, as they grow...
There's alot of work in this method, but again,
there's no thorns really to rip your hand off if you've spaced your's accordingly...

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Ann1 on December 13, 2004 12:33 AM
Hi Weezie

I will consider the thornless kind and also want to investigate dewberries. I remember they were different than blackberries and some thought preferable, but I don't remember anything else about them.

Each time another packet of seeds arrives, DH groans as he hands it to me. Even before my back problems, he got roped into helping me garden and he's sure the same will happen again, though he's about as debilitated as I am. I want to keep my gardening attempts small, but my list keeps getting longer and longer.

I may hire someone to prepare some raised beds so I can reach them easily.

You know, with over 10,000 posts your signature avatar should be a huge fireworks display that takes up at least a half page! [thumb] [thumb]

Thanks.
Ann
by weezie13 on December 13, 2004 01:08 AM
Ann,
quote:
also want to investigate dewberries. I remember they were different than blackberries and some thought preferable, but I don't remember anything else about them.

I don't think I have every heard of them????

quote:
Each time another packet of seeds arrives, DH groans as he hands it to me. Even before my back problems, he got roped into helping me garden and he's sure the same will happen again, though he's about as debilitated as I am. I want to keep my gardening attempts small, but my list keeps getting longer and longer.

Remember, that gardening is good exercise...
Keeps you limber and not toooooo stressfull on the joints and bones.. as long as you do keep it
simplier...

quote:
I may hire someone to prepare some raised beds so I can reach them easily.
We did a raised beds a couple of years ago,
my husband and father~in~law made them for me and my mother....
The first two beds were 4ft x 20ft x 18" and 3 beds were 4ft x 10ft x18", made out of rough cut lumber, and a tandem truck load (14 yards est.) of top soil... w/ planed pieces of wood for seats on top of the side boards, and very easy to sit on when weeding or planting, great to stand on when I ran the mini~rototiller thru the beds, and a place to place your trowel or bucket....
My mother fought the idea of having raised beds, "what do I need those for, the ground is fine" well, she was having a terrible time getting UP from the ground,
She's no longer fighting them, she's lovin' gardening again, and enjoying the heck of them!!!

quote:
You know, with over 10,000 posts your signature avatar should be a huge fireworks display that takes up at least a half page!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
That avatar looks exactly like my life,
going in every which direction, high powered
and an electrifying personality [grin] [lala] !!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Ann1 on December 13, 2004 05:17 AM
Hello again Weezie,

There were two things I remember about dewberries--1) they ripened earlier than blackberries (comfirmed by Google search) and 2) they either did or did not have large seeds (don't know which and found no reference.) Finally, the FDA has this to say:
FDA Sec. 550.200 Drupelet Berries (Blackberries, Raspberries, etc.) Common or Usual Names of Varieties . . . or more than you even wanted to know. . .

quote:
BACKGROUND:

There has been much confusion about the labeling of foods containing various varieties of blackberries. Certain varieties of blackberries are known by specific names. The standard of identity for canned berries designates blackberries, boysenberries, dewberries, loganberries, and youngberries as the names for varieties of berries. The standards of identity for fruit jelly, preserves, and jams were based in part on a finding of fact that stated:

Botanically, blackberries are divided into two general classes of varieties, the first class being those which grow with erect canes and are commonly known as blackberries, and the second being those which grow with trailing canes and as a class are sometimes referred to as dewberries. Three varieties of the second class are commonly known as boysenberries, loganberries, and youngberries, and the other varieties of that class are commonly known as dewberries. . . .
TyTy Nursery has both thorny and thornless blackberries and a thornless dewberry.

Your plans for the raised bed sound about the right height. I saw some at 6" high and the only thing that would do for me is to trip me when I wasn't looking. I'd like to be able to reach the center from either side so that measurement sounds good too.

I still think I'd better slow down on the planning. I don't even know what I have to start with outside since I haven't really investigated the yard in several months. I think the first thing I need to get worked on is a railing for the back steps.

Ann
by duckie on December 13, 2004 07:58 AM
[wayey] Hi Ann,
oh yes,that railing on steps is very important.I slipped on a patch of ice once.Fell flat on my back...yikes!!!

I luv blackberries..yum yum..my very favorite.As a girl I picked bucketfuls of the wild ones.

Weezie,your raised beds sound so great.I used to be able to spend hours on my knees picking or weeding.hmmmm...I'm thinking my joints are giving out.Now I've got a new project in mind for spring.

Oooo...still got those berries on my mind.gotta check the freezer.

[flower] duckie

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on December 13, 2004 03:49 PM
Ann, we have blackberry vines growing all over our property. We moved to the Santee area last year from Summerville and had bush-hogged the whole 8 acres for our new home. The blackberry vines are still surviving even with multiple mowings. I am still working in the low-country area every other week-end, so if you want me to dig some of these up for you, maybe we could meet somewhere and you can have all you want! Just let me know! [Wink]

Dianna

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: