The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help w/ dry fruit

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Help w/ 29-year-old jade| Next thread: Help w/ Gardenia »
Back to Thread index
by edisonraylam on February 02, 2005 05:26 AM
Hi,

I have an orange tree and the fruit have been juicy and big, but now they're small and they have a thick peel and are dried up on the inside. Does anyone know how to fix that?
by Longy on February 02, 2005 08:01 PM
I think it's a boron deficiency. Give the soil a dose of trace element fertiliser at half the recommended rate on the pack. Wait until you see the first flush of new growth at the start of the growing season when you'd normally be fertilising and make sure the soil moisture is good. As the fruit starts to form later in the season, give it another half dose, again ensuring there is ample soil moisture. Water well afterwards too.
by Longy on February 02, 2005 08:23 PM
Just did a google for boron deficiency in citrus and came up with the website below. I am, however, leaning more toward the likelyhood of phosphorous deficiency after having looked thru the different options. Have a look at the website and see what you think best describes the symptoms. As a further tip, i generally fertilise my citrus with blood and bone and sulphate of potash every 3 months or so. Maybe with a few handfuls of pelletised chook poo. You can use a citrus fertiliser if organic methods aren't your thing. I also give a little dose of trace element fert once every two years and a handful of dolomite to the square yard also every 2nd year. Mulch very well to outside the dripline and water regularly and deeply.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/CH142

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help w/ 29-year-old jade| Next thread: Help w/ Gardenia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: