The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

day neutral strawberries

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Day Lily roots| Next thread: Daylilies »
Back to Thread index
by Piecesofheaven05 on January 29, 2005 05:00 AM
I am planning on raising day neutral strawberries for the first time, I am choosing day neutrals because I want strawberries this year.
I am going to have a three foot wide raised bed and place a plant every foot. I will have three plants per row, and then place a row every foot(hope this makes sense). I will have one plant per square foot. I will use newspaper as a mulch around the plants and later add preen when the plants are established.
Should I keep several plants and use them only to propagate seed plants for next year or should I buy new plants next year?

How many strawberries can I expect to grow per plant? Does a pint sound realistic?

Do you see any flaws in my plans? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Married for 5 years, and have 4 little Future Farmers of America! Avid gardener, and lover of Anne Geddes.
 -
by obywan59 on January 29, 2005 11:19 AM
I don't think you have to replant every year. I had day-neutrals once and had the same bed for 3 or more years. (more I think) Also, with day-neutrals my info says you can space them seven inches apart.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tamara on February 01, 2005 12:54 AM
I planted day neutrals last year. A variety called Tri-Star, I debated when I planted them if I would harvest the first crop or pick the blossoms. I shouldn't of debated at all because I never got a single blossom and only 6 plants survived out of the 25 I planted. I'm hoping they do better this year.

Day neutrals should last 3 or 4 years before replacing them. You can just transplant all new suckers of the mother plants also.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by weezie13 on February 01, 2005 04:41 AM
Hello Piecesofheaven05,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!!
We are very glad you found us!!!!!
quote:
and later add preen when the plants are established.

In my humble opinion I would never use this stuff on edibles!!!!
(I have to admit I'm an organic gardener... but I've only heard of PREEN as a fertilizer with a pre~emergant type seed killer in it??? Is it safe?
If you're eating the product I would please check for saftey first???)

I grow the ever bearing strawberries.. one good bumper crop in the spring time/early summer and then intermitant strawberries throughout the summer...
Very sweet *when I get to eat them and the ground hogs, ants, birds, slugs, every other creature in this world doesn't get them first.**

quote:
Should I keep several plants and use them only to propagate seed plants for next year or should I buy new plants next year?

If you let the plant grow it's runners, you'll end up with several new babies/plants, off of just one plant....if you do do that though, the plant will not produce strawberries.. so maybe just let one reproduce babies and the others to produce product......

Also, if you do a FORUM SEARCH and type in STRAWBERRIES...you should come acrossed a post of two about other inquiries about strawberries as welll....

Weezie...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Day Lily roots| Next thread: Daylilies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: