The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

sweet potatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by plants 'n pots on November 07, 2004 09:17 PM
Thought I'd share my small harvest that I dug up today. First time for me, and so much fun! I grew these sweet potatoes for their ornamental vines. The first picture is of potatoes harvested from 2 very small windowboxes where I put 1/3 of a grocery store sweet potato in each one.

-
The vine in the center below is one of 2 that I got the above potatoes from.
 -

These are from an ornamental sweet potato vine that I bought in spring. I don't think they are edible, but it's amazing how they grew in a pot.
 -
Here's the vine when it was flourishing.
 -

I think I will grow the edible type in the ground next year and see what I come up with - if I can get so many in a small pot, imagine what I can get in the ground!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Longy on November 07, 2004 11:42 PM
They're crackers Lynn,
why are they inedible? They look ok to me.
i grew some in the ground last year. From two runners i got 30 KG of spuds. Crikey. See the attached link.
Use heaps of organic matter. Well rotted compost. Blood and bone. Sulphate of potash etc. Mulch 'em well. Yhey'll love it.
Just be aware that once you harvest them, every little piece of root you leave in the ground has the potential to regrow next spring. So you'll be forever pulling 'em out or you'll get sweet spuds there each year forever. I'm currently pulling out shoots in what is now my banana, ginger, pawpaw bed. Oh well. The kangaroos love the leaves on the sweet spud and it actually benefits the root if you chop the leaves off with a lawnmower once or twice thru the growing season. The roos do that for me though:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/m.longstaff/sweet.jpg
by plants 'n pots on November 08, 2004 01:22 AM
Thanks for the great advice, Longy!

And, I just love your expressions!
But tell me if you would, what does the expression "crackers" mean?
I saw you use it in other posts here too...

I wonder if the roots would still be viable here in zone 6 after winters that can get to below zero for many days in a row?

And while we don't have kangaroos here - could you imagine that? - I hope the woodchucks don't do too much damage to the ones I put in the ground next year.

p.s. I looked at your albums and thank you for sharing those great pictures - I especially like the one with the mug of beer and the kookaburra - didn't know they were so big!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Longy on November 08, 2004 11:35 AM
Have a cracker day means have a top day. Your spuds are crackers, therefore they're good'ns. Or flash as a rat with a gold tooth if you wanna get all adjectival:)
I reckon the runners will handle a cold winter and just go dormant till spring. So that won't save you.
Dunno about woodchucks. Got plenty of woodducks though but all they do is crap everywhere and jabber at each other under my bedroom window at ungodly hours of the morning.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
"I especially like the one with the mug of beer and the kookaburra - didn't know they were so big!"
+++++++++++++++++++++++
yeah no doubt about it. The beers are big here.LOL.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: