The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jasmine

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Jasmine| Next thread: Jasmine »
Back to Thread index
by Lorna on June 14, 2006 06:25 AM
I have Jasmine growing in a big clay pot on the patio. The ends of the tiny white blossoms turn brown and crispy even though the blossom still smells good and does not appear to be wilted at that point.
Is this normal for a Jasmine, or is there something wrong with my plant?
I sure would appreciate it if somebody can tell me what the deal is ~ thanks.
~Lorna Pryor

"'Trust thyself': every heart vibrates to this iron string." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Jiffymouse on June 14, 2006 02:18 PM
sounds like it might just be drying out in the heat quicker than the roots can get moisture to the ends of the petals. i wouldn't worry about it if it is just the very tips.
by eclo on June 14, 2006 02:55 PM
You are in a bit hotter climate than me but it sounds like just what Jiffy is saying... may not be getting enuff water... I have wild jasmine and it stayed in bloom from mid June till late August... and never turned brown.... again, not so hot as your climate I'm sure!

See Ya in the Garden!
by Lorna on June 14, 2006 03:43 PM
Jiffy Mouse, and Eclo, thanks for the reassuring posts in response to Jasmine.
That makes perfect sense to me as the high-walled patio gets the overhead sun in the hottest part of the day for several hours, now summer is here.
Starting early in the morning I am going to start watering the Jasmine a lot more.
Being that it is woody and has small think leaves it probably don't show it as easy when it is needing water like the more herbacious plants do by being wilty in the early morning.
It just kind of keeps it's feelings to itself.
But I am going to start keeping it wet and see how it does.
I know it does like that sunshine because it sure cleared up the fungus that was growing on it once I took it out of the shady corner.
Now I got a hibiscus in that corner ~ a funny kind of hibiscus with very delicate tissue paper flowers that get fried if the sun hits them.
I got a winter blooming Gardenia I also got to keep in the shade all the time.
Eclo, I sure do like that picture on your profile. Beautiful greenhouse and rockery and tiny little pond ~ I like stuff like that.
Jiffy Mouse, are you living in the Georgia uplands? I got to look up where you live. Would it be in Appalaichia?
I am going to see if I can look it up.
I am going to look up Effingham County, Georgia and also Raytown Missouri to see if it is in the Ozarks.
If y'all are up higher that would explain why it is cooler for you guys.
Man, it gets real hot down here in Waco and it is going to stay this way right through September.
But this is my home.
Thanks again y'all!
Lorna

"'Trust thyself': every heart vibrates to this iron string." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
by eclo on June 14, 2006 03:59 PM
I wish I was in the Ozarks! My inlaws had a place down there at the lake and man alive did I love it! Actually I am very very close to the HUGE city of Kansas City Missouri... Whoa... Ok, not so huge but a pretty good size city! What I wouldn't give for a bit more seclusion! Hey we got some work going on in Waxahatchie Texas, and also in Cleburne... you know those places?

See Ya in the Garden!
by Lorna on June 14, 2006 04:11 PM
Hey yeah! Cleburne is between Waco and Ft. Worth, only to the west a little, and Waxahachie is between Waco and Dallas, just a little south of Dallas.
Man. Kansas City I have never been to, but I always have the idea it is a rough place and other than that, I think of barbecue or blues!
Been to St. Louis, though, in the summer of '71 and it was as hot as Waco in that city, at least it was those few days in August of that year.
I was visiting a former teacher of mine who was the head of a small convent of Sisters of St. Joseph. I really got a kick out of that movie Saving Silverman, because it was filmed in St. Louis and had what looked like Sisters of St. Joseph in it.
Man, last time I was in the Ozarks was in the late 60s and it was SO BEAUTIFUL, you are right.
Still got to go look up the Georgia place.
See y'all tomorrow!
Lorna

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Jasmine| Next thread: Jasmine »
Back to Thread index