The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Indoor Gardening... Advice Needed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Indoor Gardenia| Next thread: indoor growing nursery »
Back to Thread index
by Triss on September 01, 2004 05:37 AM
Dan and I would like to try our hands at growing some vegetables over the winter in our basement. We have a very large, unused and heated space (about 10x20) and would like to set it up with containers and lighting so that we can grow tomatoes, peppers and other vegetables. Of course we have never done this before and wonder if anyone has had success with something like this and if so what advice would you give us.

Also planning on using the space to cultivate flowers and stuff for both the flower and vegetable gardens to be transplanted in the spring but that won't start until we are more in the middle of winter. That too will be a new thing for us so would appreciate any helpful hints as to what does better being started indoors and later transplanted.

Thanks!
Triss

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by ron0829 on September 07, 2004 12:59 AM
I've dones this with tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, etc. I usually start my seedlings in March, keeping them warm and moist till they stick their heads up out of the soil. When they are about 2-3 inches tall, you can transplant them into their own tiny pot. Make sure they get plenty of light during the day. I transplant to the garden around Mothers Day. I live in Indiana. I don't know when you would transplant in Nebraska. Hope this helps a little.
by Triss on September 07, 2004 05:18 PM
Thanks for the advice Ron,

We could probably plant outside a little earlier than Mother's Day... The last frost and snows have been typically around spring break and it has seemed to warm up pretty quickly thereafter. Of course we have only been here for 2 springs so I am sure things could change.

Triss

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Indoor Gardenia| Next thread: indoor growing nursery »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: