The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Accidentally froze my Aloe...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Accidental over fertilized| Next thread: acer »
Back to Thread index
by baristagirl on December 09, 2005 06:25 AM
We had a freeze, and I forgot my aloe plant outside. Now it is wilty and horrible looking, I am sure because of cell rupture from freezing. Is there any way to salvage my plant? Should I chop off the wilted leaves, leave them on? Help is greatly appreciated!

by angelblossom on December 09, 2005 07:25 AM
Baristagirl.. Same thing happened to me last year!! Here in Grandprairie, Tx we tend not to believe the weather man HUH?? I just brought mine in a cut off all wilt and a little beyond that; some eventually did died off. The main center took some time but it came back I just never took it back out it's still in Kitchen window!! [dunno] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by weezie13 on December 09, 2005 09:00 PM
Baristagirl,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us!!!

Just wanted to let you know two things..
One I was going to move your post into the
HOUSE PLANT SECTION, I think you'll get a few
more response's in that section...
Although Angelblossom gave you some good advise..

And second, I edited your email address out of your post... we like to watch out for our members and their privacy.. don't want any lurkers out there with your home email address with you giving it to them personally..
Anyone wanting to contact you can PM you here with
our Private Messaging and then if YOU want them to have it, you can give it to that particular person..

Have a great gardening day..

And don't forget to take a peak around here,
ther'es lot's to do, and to keep you busy,
*especially during those HOT days in the summer and those freak cold snaps too and any time in between*

We have several members from Texas,
just jump right on in....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by margaret e. pell on December 10, 2005 07:00 AM
Like Angelblossom said, cut it back, don't water it, let the cut edges heal, and go from there. If the roots and the very base part of the stem didn't freeze, you've got no problems, it'll grow back. If in a week or so the whole thing's mush, so it goes, get another one. If there is sound rootstock, it may take several weeks - month(s) to see new growth as winter is when most aloe rest. Don't despair, don't water, just wait. It wants sun, even now. Let us know what happens!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Erich on December 12, 2005 11:11 AM
I had a massive aloe plant that I grew outdoors in the summer seasons. It satrted as a little thing and eventaully grew into a 5' x 3' beast. I loved it, but I had to entrust it to my parents when I moved to a warmer climate (I am origianlly from Wisconsin). They had no time to take it inside, which is forgivable, becasue they are old and the plant is big, but about 2/3 of it was frostbitten and died...my mother tore the affected parts out by the roots. This is the best option for the plant for otherwise it will start to rot. But mainly, I am sad for my plant...it was the best plant I ever grew and a testament to rottenness in the world.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Accidental over fertilized| Next thread: acer »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: