The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Picking the right flowers, Transplanting, Mint

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Kurlie77 on June 08, 2006 01:01 AM
Hey Everyone!

I haven't been on here in ages! It seems like I only visit once in a blue moon! LoL...

Anyways I was wondering if I should transplant a daisy plant that decided to grow outside of my garden instead of inside the rock border. I'm not sure what type of daisy it is but it has trillions of buds and I don't kno if it would bloom or not if it was disturbed.

Also, I'm looking for easy perennials that will do well in northern Maine. Not much that I planted last year came back this year, so anyone got any favorites?

Also, I'd like to plant some mint but I hear that it is a fast spreader and is known to take over other plant space. Is there a certain type of mint that I should look into?

Thanks so much!
by tkhooper on June 08, 2006 01:21 AM
All the mints are agressive. If you want to have it in the ground use a root barrier and then some kind of edging that will help you to keep the runners in place as well. I will say that my pineapple mint isn't as vigorous as the spearamint. But then I'm in zone 7 working with clay soil. Your conditions are probably very very different.

Peonies actually like cooler climates than mine but I still have 5 in my garden and would happily make room for many many more. They can take a long time to establish themselves (around 3 years in the average) But they live around 75 to 100 years and increase the size of their clump every year. The flowers don't bloom for very long a week or two at best but they make the greatest cut flowers. Second only to roses in my opinion. So if you have a protected (from the wind) sunny place about 3 foot square I would definitely plant one. They come in a variety of Whites, Pinks, Reds, a few purples and even some oranges.

I would also have a mock orange if you have any type of arbor or tall fence that it can rest on. They grow from canes and I like them more upright so I like to see them supported. But if you like the weeping willow type shape you can just give them lots and lots of room because the canes do get quite tall. The smell is outstanding and I like them in cut flower arrangements.

I love my crocuses, daffs, and tulips for early spring color, my roses bloom right after that and you can buy the subzero roses so that they will come back.

Those are just a few suggestions. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.

-
 -
by Kurlie77 on June 08, 2006 06:12 AM
Thanks tkhooper!

I planted a peony last year really late and I was happy to see that it came back this year. Should I expect it to bloom?
by joclyn on June 08, 2006 02:57 PM
kurlie, what zone are you in? without your zone, it's hard to suggest. also, what is the area like? sunny or shady? and do you prefer flowers or bushes?

the daisy should be okay if you move it...just make sure to take a really good chunk of the soil too, so that you don't disturb the roots too much and make sure you water it well until it's re-established.

the peony may or may not bloom...they can take a few years to get established.

mint is very invasive. if you put it in the ground, put it in plastic pots and then put them in the ground...over time, tho, even that won't keep the mint in check.

do you have a spot that is surrounded by concrete? that would be the best place for the mint unless you don't care about pulling it up regularly all summer long to keep it somewhat in check.
by Kurlie77 on June 09, 2006 12:48 AM
I'm in zone 4, and the spot I'm looking to plant is very sunny. Sorry I didnt mention this before! Also, not many bushes will fit in the spot I'm talking about so I'm looking for different types of flowers that will do well in my area, preferably perennials.
by plantingnewb on July 05, 2006 05:28 PM
I have lemon mint growing all over, even into my lawn. [Frown]
I didn't plant it. It was planted by the previous owners, probably not in a pot.
My advice to you.... Plant in a pot.
Tammy
by tkhooper on July 06, 2006 05:01 AM
Peonies from root divisions take an average of 3 years to establish themselves and bloom but they are well worth the wait in my opinion even though the blooms don't last long.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: