The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

amaryllis

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Amarylis care| Next thread: Amaryllis »
Back to Thread index
by nikisue on December 01, 2005 05:02 AM
I have an amaryllis bulb that I saved from last year. It is still firm but the outside is brownish in color and sort of "crispy". Should I attempt planting this year? Thanks!
by obywan59 on December 01, 2005 05:19 AM
Sure! I just planted mine a week and a half ago. If you need instructions, let us know. I have to go to work now and won't have time to look them up till later. Some else may know. If not, I'll get back to you.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by nikisue on December 01, 2005 05:44 AM
Terrific -- It's now planted and watered and placed in a northern exposure. It's my understanding that they like a fairly "tight fit" when potted and that I shouldn't water again until I see some green. Hope mine does as well as yours.
by margaret e. pell on December 01, 2005 07:00 AM
I just put mine to bed earlier this month. They'll start showing a bud, or leaves on the babies, around Feb-March, live outside all summer, and die back in October. They're really easy to cross polenate and grow from seed, but it takes about 4 years until they flower.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by nikisue on December 01, 2005 09:58 AM
Now that's something new to me -- Amaryllis from seed. No wonder you're listed as "Great Gardner". Thanks so much for the info. By the way, can I take seeds from my plant if it blooms again this year? If so, any advice on doing this would be appreciated
by margaret e. pell on December 01, 2005 08:36 PM
They are self fertile, so even if you only have one plant, you can get it to seed. You have to pollenate them by hand - I use a little paintbrush that came with my son's watercolor kit. Then you just wait. The flower petal part will die leaving the main stem from the bulb, the 4 (or 3 or 2) little stems that went to the actual flower, and the "blob" (pod?) at the end with the developing seeds. It's not particularly pretty at this point, but so what? I didn't look so great when I was pregnant, either. Anyway, when the pod-thing starts to turn tannish brown and get dry, you've got viable seed! If you know someone who has a different colored one blooming when yours is, bring home some of its pollen in a baggie (or whatever) and cross them. That'll make waiting the few years for the flowers (what color will they be?) more interesting. Good luck!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Amarylis care| Next thread: Amaryllis »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: