The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

identifying plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Myrna on November 30, 2005 03:58 AM
I have recently started taking care of the plants at my job there are quite a few of them however no-one knows what kind of plants they are. I believe that I have identified most of them, except I can not tell if we have parlor palms or butterfly palms or are they the same plant? Anyway, we have 3 of these plants and one of them has this strange looking thing growing one it the first time I saw this thing, it was growing from one of the branches and it resembled the shape of a catcus it was orange with black spots on it. I pulled it off the plant and within a couple of months there was another one growing again but this one was all green and you could see raised bumps on it. The plants had all been neglected for a long time so they are beginning to come back but this one plant only has a couple of fronds on it. Does anyone know what this thing maybe and is it killing the plant thank you for any advice

Myrna R

life is like a box chocolates you never know what you are going to get (unless you pop the bottoms in first!)
by mich168 on November 30, 2005 01:06 PM
Is it possible for you to post some pictures? We might be able to help you out better that way. I for one, am terrible trying to id plants by description.

Hang on, someone should be by that can help you out better!

[Smile]

-
 -
by obywan59 on November 30, 2005 01:32 PM
I'm guessing the growth you saw was a fertile frond with spores. (The palm's "blossom".)

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by peppereater on November 30, 2005 11:29 PM
Myrna...I tend to agree with Terry. I don't know palms, but that sounds like blossom or "fruit."
If the plant is suffering and you're still nursing it back to health, fruiting could be a sign of stress,and picking it off redirects energy back to the plant.
by Myrna on December 01, 2005 12:04 AM
thank you for your help as soon as I can get some pictures I will post them up. So i gather I should continue to pick this fruit or blossom off until the plant starts to look healthy again?

Myrna R

life is like a box chocolates you never know what you are going to get (unless you pop the bottoms in first!)
by Myrna on December 02, 2005 02:59 AM
HI all,
I have Identified a couple of the plants. I went to a greenery and saw the plants that I have here. I a few Dracaena jannet craigs they have lost their bush look and look more like trees with some leaves on the tops. I have been watering them only when they feel dry ( i put my finger in the soil about an inch) most of them have dry brown spots on some of the leaves some at the tips and some times it's in the middle of the leaf. none are near windows ( we do not have much window light available) I also found out that we have the following Corn plants, ficus benjamin, braid Schefflera, peace lilly, golden pothos, ficus Alli, and the parlor palms.The plants have been neglicated up until about 2 months ago when I started trying to take care of them. However I have no idea on how to trim the bigger trees the schefflera is very big and out of control. I can see the ficus benjamin's root above the pot, and it doesn't seem to have very much dirt in there. All the pothos are potbound, ( they were very leggy but I trimmed them all back and now they are starting to look fuller.) The Corn plants are all leaning, the peace lilly only has a couple of leaves on it but I think I am seeing some new growth. so as you can tell our plants need help. They are doing better but I would like for them to do great! any help would be wonderful. I do not know when I can post pictures but I will as soon as I can. thank you

Myrna R

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: