The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Christmas Cactus hasn't been watered for a year...oops!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by emmarose on November 23, 2005 09:51 PM
Mum got it as a present last year, put it on top of a cupboard in the utility room and forgot all about it - I only noticed it at the weekend.

The soil was as dry as a bone and the leaves feel flimsy to touch, although they're not dead (but I'm guessing they should be very firm). A few stalks were completely gone so I picked them off and threw them out. I soaked the roots in some water with some baby bio in it (liquid plant food) and have repotted it back into the same pot but with fresh potting compost.

I've found instructions at home on how to treat a Christmas Cactus during the year but is there anything in particular I should do over the next few months to nurture it back to health?

Thanks!

"Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of life's problems" - Homer Simpson
by obywan59 on November 24, 2005 12:41 AM
The main thing would be to be careful not to overwater it or it will rot.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Cricket on November 24, 2005 04:00 AM
Place the plant in a window that receives bright, indirect light and as Terry said, be very careful not to overwater. Fertilizing is unnecessary, particularly if you've repotted with fresh soil which should provide a couple years of nutrients. Also, fertilizer is food, not medicine, and should only be given to healthy, vigorously growing plants. Best of luck!

Cricket
by emmarose on November 24, 2005 05:29 PM
Thanks a mill, hopefully I'll be able to get it going again! Much appreciated!

by Cricket on November 24, 2005 06:20 PM
You're welcome. Best of luck nursing it back to health [Smile]

BTW, in which part of Ireland do you live?
by margaret e. pell on November 24, 2005 10:05 PM
If it looses any leaf segments, you can try rooting them on damp sand.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by emmarose on November 25, 2005 09:17 PM
Thanks Margaret. I think whats left should make it - the ones that fell off were beyond redemption.

Cricket - I've been living in Dublin over 8 years but planning to move back to the homeplace soon. Ever been over this side of the water?

by Cricket on November 26, 2005 03:07 PM
Hi Emma, [wavey]

No, I haven't been over to Ireland yet but would dearly love to someday visit friends in Donegal and Wicklow.

BTW, I neglected to mention in my previous post that Christmas cacti should be potted in well drained sandy soil, such as cactus mix.

Cricket

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: