The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Passion Flower

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Partially Pink| Next thread: passion flower »
Back to Thread index
by LandOfOz on May 31, 2006 08:23 AM
My neighbor planted a passion flower plant outside last year and apparently it had babies this spring. The neighbor said I could have one plant, if I was willing to dig it up. So I went out this morning, gently pushed a shovel into the dirt about 6 inches away from the plant, wiggled the shovel, and then cleanly pulled the shovel out. I was very careful because I didn't want to damage a tap root or regular root system. I grabbed the plant at the very base and gave it just the gentlest of tugs to see how it was loosening and the plant came sliding right out of the ground! Anyway, the tap root was broken at least 4-5 inches below the ground. I transplanted him into a damp hole. I broke off a very low leaf (which was going to be underground anyway) then covered and mounded with soil, and finally watered with some fish fertilizer. Now the little guy is very wilted. What should I do? [Confused] Is he going to die because of his broken root? What is proper care for this guy anyway? I read the page that the garden helper had on him but would still like any and all additional information.

Thanks,
Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by alankhart on May 31, 2006 09:26 AM
A broken tap root can mean sure death. However, it may still make it. Try to shade it as much as possible for a couple of weeks to give it time to recover.

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on June 01, 2006 11:32 AM
I just planted some passion flower seeds and am going to patiently wait for them to sprout sometime next spring. The things I'll do to get a vine growing for my garden lol.

-
 -
by porter57 on June 01, 2006 02:31 PM
i planted a vine this year and im not sure what to expect. the upper leaves are dieing and what looked like blooms have disappeared. i do see new growth lower on the plant but im not sure what to expect. im hoping it pulls through.
wish me luck!!!
by LandOfOz on June 01, 2006 03:38 PM
Sending lots of luck your way, Porter! [thumb]

I just went out and check on my passion flower. It is green and unwilted!! I'm so happy! I know that it is a vine, so I planted it in a raised bed by my gas meter and house. Will it crawl up the house or just sprawl over the meter? I've also read that these have a strong scent, but I was wondering is it a good scent or a bad one? [nutz] I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that the cooler weather and occassional sprinkles continue until the plant is established!!

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Patty S on June 01, 2006 06:34 PM
Sarah, your Passion flower will sprawl over the meter unless you give it something to climb on. (Put a trellis of some type behind the meter maybe?)

I have a friend who has the most lovely display of Passion flowers going up & across an arbor at her gate! [flower] I tried several times last year to start my own from cuttings off hers, but I didn't have any luck rooting them in water OR putting them in soil! [dunno] About a month ago I got some new shoots from her & put them directly in the ground... she said they should sprout at each of the nodes. The Garden Helper says, about Passion flower Propagation, that it can take 3 months or longer to root from cuttings, so I'm not going to press my luck by letting my curiosity get the best of me & start digging around there to take a peek!  - (I really need to keep telling myself that! I also have Porcelain Berry planted there, which is doing fine... so I'll just watch those, instead!!) [grin]

Best of luck with yours, Sarah! Passion flower has a pleasant scent.... not offensive at all! [thumb]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Partially Pink| Next thread: passion flower »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: