The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Christmas cactus loosing unopened buds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by tmt on November 20, 2005 01:59 AM
I recently purchased what seemed to be a healthy looking Christmas cactus and it was I have read most of what I can find on this site for info. I noticed to day that some upopened buds are falling off. Any suggestions on what may be causing this or what I may be doing wrong? It sits in a window away from any heat sources (except the sun) and I only water it 10-12 days. I have not given it any fertilizer.

Thanks for any suggestions!
by mom54 on November 20, 2005 03:14 AM
Hi, fertilizer won't hurt it. Give it the right kind, as it is a succulent. Also, when it starts setting buds, don't turn it, just let it stay as it is. Don't over water it. Good luck with it. They are sooooo pretty. [thumb]

-
by Will Creed on November 22, 2005 08:18 AM
If the buds that are dropping are small and not well developed, then that is because the light has changed. Even a subtle change caused by something as simple as repositioning it relative to the light can cause undeveloped buds to drop.

If large, developed buds are dropping, then it could be caused by temps that are too warm or soil that has gotten too dry or kept too wet. Repotting will also cause this.
by tmt on December 07, 2005 04:23 AM
Thank you both for the info. I did fertilize with the succulent fertilizer. It is indeed the smaller buds that are falling off and I have noticed that it seems to have stopped and they are staying attached and blooming. It seems that perhaps it was just reacting from the move from the store to my home and its new location. All seems well now.

Thanks again
Theresa
by GreenCeed on December 07, 2005 09:36 AM
They do go through some shock due to the transfer from a warm enviroment to a cold enviroment back to a warm enviroment. and the different light, temp and hummidity levels in your house compared to the store.

GreenCeed

Active Garden Forum