The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Seed ?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: See my veggies Weezie..| Next thread: seed balls »
Back to Thread index
by catlover on April 03, 2005 05:10 PM
Alpha has an email ?:

quote:
I have some old seeds..some are in packets that say plant by 2000, I also have some VERY OLD tomato seeds that my grandfather had that would mean at least 40 years old....I know this is sounding ridiculous to ask, BUT. Is it possible to have them grow??...Is there anything special that I could try to do to help them?.
Especially my grandfathers seeds, He was known in the South for his tomatoes!!....
Thank you.........................Alpha

-
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 04, 2005 03:54 AM
well, i have grown seeds that are 2 & 3 years old [dunno]
by papito on April 08, 2005 11:22 PM
You can try this:

Seed viability test [Germination Test]

Flower and vegetable seeds will not keep forever. Those kept in dry, dark, cool places such as a refrigerator may last for three to five years.

Use this test to determine the viability of a small batch of [20] seeds:

Lay 20 seeds in the middle of a moistened paper towel. Seeds must be separated from each other.

Roll up the paper towel, twist each end and place the cigar-shaped paper towel vertically in a glass that has a few inches of water in it. To induce germination, provide optimum temperature, moisture and light conditions.

Most edible and ornamental plant seeds will germinate in three days. Check everyday for up to 10 days.

After three weeks, count those that actually grew into seedlings and you will know the rough percentage of good seeds in your batch.

Factors affecting Germination:

Four environmental factors affect seed germination: water, oxygen, light and temperature. Although optimum levels of light and temperature vary among species [but generally in the 65*F-75*F range for most plants], all require continuous supply of water and oxygen for germination to occur.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: See my veggies Weezie..| Next thread: seed balls »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: