The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fuschias

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Fuschia seeds| Next thread: Fushia »
Back to Thread index
by Cricket on April 07, 2004 03:52 AM
Last summer was the first time I grew fuschias in hanging baskets. I found them easy to grow and had months of pleasure enjoying their prolific blooms. I began watering the plants again in early March but so far there aren't signs of life. Any suggestions would be appreciated. [Smile]
by Jiffymouse on April 07, 2004 04:48 AM
[wayey] hi cricket [wayey] i don't have your answer, but wanted to welcome you!
by gardengal on April 08, 2004 09:29 PM
Hi Cricket. I grow fuschias in my yard and right now they are starting to really come alive again.I don't really do anything for mine except trim them when they decide to take over. Not sure if I can help but here's a few questions..did you cut yours back in the fall? How cold does it get where you live? What do they look like now? I'm in zone 8b, we get some frost but no snow. Hopefully we can help you out. I love my fuschias, such amazing flowers, so we need to get your back to life. And the hummingbirds love them too! [grin]

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by weezie13 on April 08, 2004 11:01 PM
Cricket,
First off I like that name you picked!!
Everyone's been coming up with some cute names!!

And I'd like to Welcome you to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!!!

I do purchase the fushia's here in Western New York, but I have never had one winter over,
there seems never enough sun in the winter, and
get's maybe too dry from my house, and I've tried to let over winter in the basement and go sort of dormant, never worked either...

I've had to treat them as annual and re~buy every year...

If someone does have a trick to over winter them,
I'd love to hear about it too!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Cricket on April 08, 2004 11:02 PM
Thank you Gardengal for your reply. I, too, am in zone 8, I think (Vancouver Island). No, I unfortunately did not prune my fuschias in the fall - last summer was the first year I grew them and didn't really know how to winter them properly. I kept them in their containers over the winter. Now they look like sticks with empty branches (very sad sight). Is it too late to prune and resurrect them? They have quickly become my favorite flowers. The only difficulty I had with them was propogation. Cuttings didn't root for me and I am uncertain how to gather fuschia seeds. This summer I plan on covering my patio with various fuschia hanging baskets!
by Cricket on April 08, 2004 11:07 PM
Thanks, Weezie for your encouragement. I have heard of some climates similar to mine (e.g. Ireland) having wild fuschia hedges, so thought it wouldn't be too difficult to overwinter. As I plan on growing many fuschias this summer, I see it as a challenge to try to overwinter successfully (and also cut down on recurrent expense of annuals!). [flower]
by weezie13 on April 09, 2004 04:36 AM
Cricket,
There is sometype of Fuschia bush or tree that's a hardy one til zone 8 I think, one of our member's was talking about it, I think it was
Barleychown who lives in Oregon!!!!
I had never heard of it until she mentioned it and I looked it up, sorta pretty but not nearly as pretty as the hanging basket variety!!!

Fuschia Tree

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Fuschia seeds| Next thread: Fushia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: