The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

ficus "silver cloud"

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Ficus ?'s| Next thread: Ficus Alii »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on November 03, 2005 09:15 AM
Anyone have this plant or info on it?

I picked one up yesterday but can't seem to find anything online searching through many search engines... it's a green/white variegated small ficus.

thanks... Lynne

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by papito on November 03, 2005 01:08 PM
Silver Cloud

Still researching info.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by plants 'n pots on November 03, 2005 10:42 PM
Thanks papito! [kissies] I saw that one too!
Was looking for info about it though...

Here are pictures of mine.
This first one is the one I've had for about 5 years now - it's in a small wall basket, so really doesn't have much room to grow larger, but it's perfect for its spot.

-

And this is the new one. I'm somewhat confused, because the tag that came with it says to "grow in indirect light on curtained windows", but Will Creed sent me a wonderful newsletter [kissies] about ficus and said to "Give your new ficus as much direct sunlight as possible. A south-facing window is best."
Not doubting Will at all - I do, however, sometimes doubt the tags that come with plants [nutz] , which is why I was searching for info in the first place.

What do you think, Will? papito? [dunno]

Right now it is next to a SW window and gets a little bit of mid-morning sun from the side - can you see the blinds on the right side of the picture?

-

-
 -
by tkhooper on November 04, 2005 10:53 AM
Those are good looking plants you have there. Ficus 'Silver Cloud' I'll have to remember that for when I buy my mansion with an attached sun room lol.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on November 04, 2005 11:08 AM
Hi TK! [wayey]

These came in little 3 inch pots - surely you have a little spot
for an itty bitty plant like that! [thumb] [Big Grin] [dunno]

-
 -
by tkhooper on November 04, 2005 06:18 PM
lol@lynne,

Your teasing me lady lol. Sure I have space as long as I don't mind killing it come indoor planting time when their won't be any space to speak of lol. Maybe next year if I can set up lights in a workable manner. But not this year. I have a couple of expenses that I just have to get rid of.

-
 -
by Cricket on November 26, 2005 04:37 PM
quote:
"Give your new ficus as much direct sunlight as possible. A south-facing window is best."
Not doubting Will at all - I do, however, sometimes doubt the tags that come with plants [nutz]
Lynne, I second Will's advice about the ficus needing to receive as much direct sunlight as possible directly in front of a south-facing window. Both mine thrive in that location! [flower]

Go ahead and doubt the tags. Mostly they are generic information that is recycled from one species of plant to another without consideration of that's plant unique requirements. Most of the tags I see on local tropic plants don't even list the name of the plant, instead stating the plant is "tropical foliage", requiring average light, average watering, average soil. As if all tropical plants can be lumped together in a single category! [Mad]

Here's my conspiracy theory for the day: The reason all the plants are generically tagged with the same "care" requirements [lala] is so that without proper care education the plants will die quickly, [Mad] and the consumer will then purchase a new one, often blaming themselves for not looking after it well enough instead of the retailer who only seeks profit at your expense. [devil]

OK, Stepping off my soap box now. [Embarrassed] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Cricket

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ficus ?'s| Next thread: Ficus Alii »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: