The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

silica gel.....?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Silhouette| Next thread: Silly question »
Back to Thread index
by linda12159 on October 30, 2005 10:39 PM
is it true you can use those packets of silica gel you get in some things, to retain water in house plants?

Linda

-
learn from others mistakes....you can't live long enough to make them all yourself
by tkhooper on October 31, 2005 12:57 AM
Hi Linda,

I'm not at all sure about that. But there is a product that I bought that was reasonable in price that retains water. I'm using it in my beds and in my homemade potting soil lol. It's called water-keep and I bought it on-line from their company. If you can't find and want to try some let me know and I'll find the link. I know I have it in my favorites somewhere along with everything else lol.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on October 31, 2005 04:00 AM
you don't want to use the silica for the plants. it pulls water out of the surrounding area. but it is good for keeping seeds. the other stuff that tk is talking about is a different consistancy and will release the water as needed.
by linda12159 on October 31, 2005 11:23 PM
thanks guys.....tk i would love the link!
jiffy....that makes sense, i think i was thinking about the stuff tk was talking about. but i will use it for my seeds.
Linda

-
learn from others mistakes....you can't live long enough to make them all yourself
by cinta on November 02, 2005 10:20 AM
I use baby diapers in my pots. Pick them up cheap at the discount store 24 for 1.99. It works great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Silhouette| Next thread: Silly question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: