The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Stem Rot

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Stella Doro dwarf daylily| Next thread: Stemmy Calla lilies »
Back to Thread index
by Nancy Huntington LI, NY on May 20, 2006 06:05 AM
Has anyone ever dealt with stem rot? I think that is what my neighbors flower farm has. She gave me some small sunflowers from her garden, I planted them and by the end od the season I noticed my nearby dalais ended up looking like her sunflowers - with blacked lower leaves & stems(last years). She, year after year just buries the sick plants in that same gaden. (She sells the cut flowers on the road) It only seemed to attack certain plants. But I am afraid the soil is infected and don’t want to put new plants in the garden that was sick last year for fear it will return. I removed all plants that were sick or they died off & did not return this spring. There is however, plants it did not bother, so I still have some flowers that are doing well in that area. It seemed to attack dalais, black eyed susan & cone flower. I'm not sure what it is. I looked around on the internet the only thing I found similar is stem rot??? Any ideas or solutions???

Nancy
by Sir Ts Princess on May 20, 2006 06:48 AM
Hmm. There is a way to "steralize" garden soil. It might would work for your flower bed, but it would be very labor intensive. What you do is dig up the soil and mound it up in a pile. Little by little, fill the disposable roasting pans with the soil. Bake the soil in your oven for 1/2 an hour at 250 degrees. This will kill weeds,fungus, disease, bugs/eggs, and pretty much anything else. But, depending on the size of your bed, and how deep the bed, it could be labor intensive. Now, if you didn't have anything at all planted in the area, I'd say douse it with bleach water as the Chlorine is also pretty good at killing any bacteria. But, if you want to use that bed again, I'd either sterilize the soil, or completely remove it and put fresh clean potting soil in its place.

Maybe someone else has some other ideas for you.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Stella Doro dwarf daylily| Next thread: Stemmy Calla lilies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: