The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Making Cut Flowers Last Longer

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Making cold frames???| Next thread: Making Cut Flowers Last Longer »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by weezie13 on June 05, 2006 06:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Patty S:

However, I AM still looking for the name of a commercial cut flower preservative, like what florists send in little packets with cut flowers! I'd already tried all the home "recipes" that people have suggested here, (INCLUDING BLEACH), & am simply not satisfied with the results, as compared with whatever is in those packets!

I know that besides containing sugar, the commecial/professional preservative also contains some sort of a microorganism (bacteria) inhibitor & a "respiratory inhibitor" that work together to "feed" the flowers & aid them in water uptake. Apparently, the commercial preservative is a very illusive commodity, but I haven't given up my quest to find out what it's called & where to get it!

Okay, finally found it...
I now remember why I couldn't find it...
**I signed up to HARRIS SEEDS, under commercial wholesale person .. and they send me stuff... and it was thru there I saw the info...
so, here's the link..
Harris Seeds Professional Grower/ID: 04560-851 Floralife "Rippit" Flower Food Pkts (100)

I am not 100% sure if you can order it or not, thru the whole saler end of it??? [dunno]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by dodge on June 05, 2006 06:57 AM
weez,

your choice.

I watch my pennies..$24.00 defeats the purpose to me.

dodge

barb

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by pagarden on June 08, 2006 06:25 AM
i read back a while ago that a little vodka in tulips helps them to stay upright. tried it back on easter (i always put out a vase of tulips on easter) and it worked!
by heidi_ho80 on June 08, 2006 07:14 AM
I picked these 2 days ago can I put some bleach in now or will it do no good? I am kinda obessed with cutting flowers my husband thinks I am nuts.. He says as soon as they start to look pretty outside I distroy them I disagree hehehe oh well.  -

Heidi
by weezie13 on June 08, 2006 07:38 AM
*****Heidi,
My mother and I have always used this statement or sentence...
See what your husband has to say...

"We like to enjoy the flowers NOW,
NOT when we're dead"

I love picking flowers and sending them to my mother..
I agree somewhat about leaving them,
*for seeds and such* but tell him you'll just have to plant MORE than,
some to cut and some to
LEAVE OUT SIDE!! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Smile] [flower] [clappy]

****Dodge, I agree with you on the watchin' the pennies thing...
One income family here..

But those packets can be a big time saver, if you cut alot of flowers..
and do alot of things with them...
It does come out to be about .25 cents a package..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by dodge on June 08, 2006 08:27 AM
weezie......

very good.......Money spent on mom is better than beer........
Glad your mom is a good buddy.

barb

-
 -
by dodge on June 08, 2006 08:32 AM
Heidi

That is so pretty.. I put the bleach in before I put the flowers. They say the algae germs start right away when you cut an pop them in.. You can cut them again an redo it.. make a Large slant so the can absorb more water..
Also they say putting them in the refrigerator for 4 hours before you put them in the water helps prolong the bloom too..

I didnt try that one yet,.. But I will.

Let me know your results.

barb

-
 -
by dodge on June 08, 2006 08:35 AM
pagarden

Your a tipical penna.. person.. Vodka is also beyond my budget. Maybe you got it drunk an it forgot to die? [tongue]

Good luck.

barb

-
 -
by Jesnjo on June 08, 2006 02:19 PM
Great info thanks! I always thought the powder stuff didn't work very well anyway. The water always ended up all smokey and the flowers didn't last.

Blessings!
Joanne
by patches1414 on June 09, 2006 08:30 AM
Hey Patty, I mailed you some information about how to keep cut flowers lasting longer. [Wink] I'm sorry [Frown] it's not about the product you were looking for but it has some valuable information and it was much too long to post here. Hope it helps! [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by connickfan on June 09, 2006 09:05 AM
I was watching "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" the other day, and one of the tips at the end of the show was to add a little vodka to the vase water to make the flowers last longer.
by dodge on June 09, 2006 09:07 AM
connickfan,

I was just joking....I should work because, I think it is a germ killer....Least ways the old western movies poured booze on the gunshot wounds.. ha hah

glad it works

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Making cold frames???| Next thread: Making Cut Flowers Last Longer »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: