The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

suggestions welcome

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: suggestions please...| Next thread: Suicidal Cardinal »
Back to Thread index
by abe on October 25, 2005 12:49 AM
I need a cool, looking plant for my house,i would like to have one that is flowering, but not like a morning glory. any suggestions?
by barleychown on October 25, 2005 01:37 AM
What about a lipstick vine? A black pagoda plant, african violets, peace lily? All bloom frequently for me...

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by tkhooper on October 25, 2005 06:03 AM
depending on your luck with plants, there is the gloxana(sp), paperwhites, christmas cactus, snake plant, or aloes over 12 inches in length. That's about all I can think of at the moment. Hope you find something that you like.

-
 -
by cinta on October 25, 2005 07:53 PM
A Crown of Thorn (Euphorbia milii) bloom all winter and all summer.
 -

Armarylis are good for flowers in the winter. I have a old one that blooms year round. It does take a break Sept-Nov.
Summer
 -

Winter
 -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Jiffymouse on October 26, 2005 11:33 AM
great pics cinta [thumb]
by comfrey on October 27, 2005 07:37 AM
Is the Crown of Thorn hard to grow???? I really like that, How long does it take for it to get that big? Or to bloom? Great pictures!

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on October 27, 2005 07:41 AM
they bloom even when they are small. don't know how long they take to get big, i always kill mine!
by comfrey on October 27, 2005 08:09 AM
I just did a web search on Crown of Thorn and found a really nice picture..It has pink flowers so, I am assuming that there are several different varieties.

Crown Of Thorn

-
 -
by Will Creed on October 27, 2005 08:39 AM
Abe,

What kind of light do you have available for your flowering plant? That is the most important consideration if you want your plant to survive for a long time.
by comfrey on October 27, 2005 10:22 AM
Oh Cinta....I have to have a Crown of Thorns now...I have placed a bid on ebay for one that is on there and shopped the whole web looking at prices...I love cactus anyway I have my window sills full. I am going to get one...one way or another. Thank You posting that picture, I have found they have red, pink, white, and the pale yellow flower types. [clappy] [flower] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by cinta on October 27, 2005 10:37 AM
I have mine in semi-shade. In the house they are in indirect light. They root in water. This is one easy plant. I also have the red one. The one above is 1 year old. I bought it in the grocery store for 3 bucks.

I swear I buy more plants in the grocery store than food.

Jiffy it takes more water than most succulents. I water it every two weeks.

by tkhooper on October 28, 2005 02:06 AM
I'm not buying anymore house plants but you all are making it very hard lol. That crown of thorns looks like such a good buy. But then with me everything looks like a good buy lol.

-
 -
by cinta on October 28, 2005 01:12 PM
Well it looks like I have ropped in two new CT buyers. Where is abe? LOL!!!

Really it is worth the couple of bucks. You are gauranteed flowers.

by comfrey on October 29, 2005 09:23 AM
I told my mom about the Crown of Thorns and now she is interested also...So now mom can look for one for herself and ME....She lives in a big city and I live in the boonies.

-
 -
by Erich on November 02, 2005 12:44 PM
Air plants! They are by far one of the cooler organism in the plant kingdom - they simply grow without soil, absorbing moisture wherever they may be. I mist mine once every other day and they love it.

Burro's tail (Sedum morganianum) is also a favorite. It sends out long, dangling stems with icy blue-green leaves in a spiraling fashion (but very slowly).
by Francine on November 02, 2005 12:59 PM
Erich,

xcuse my ignorance,what are air plants,it s the first time i hear of it and it really sonds cool.

thank you.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/
by Francine on November 02, 2005 01:01 PM
xcuse me ,it s me again;where can i find the burro s tale(o k ,no jokes here [Big Grin] [Embarrassed] ,it looks lovely,where is it from.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/
by Erich on November 07, 2005 11:51 AM
Air plants are part of the bromeliad family (this includes pineapple). "Air plant" bromeliads live with no soil. Once a week or so it is given a warm bath and its roots are allowed to soak for about 15 minutes. You can also simply mist them with every other day with a mild fertilized solution.
They are very easy to care for because they are quite able to take care of themselves. What is required is providing the right conditions, usually, partial shade, bright or subdued indirect sunlight, wind protection, humidity, warmth and rain water.
You can mount them with standard silicone glue on pieces of wood or stone to create interesting living works of art. I mounted one of mine of a large piece of rose quartz.
About the burro's tail: interestingly enough, it has no known natural sources. All outdoor plants that are seen exist as a result of human cultivation. However, it is thought to come from Mexico (indeed, it thrives crazily there). They are very easy to care for. I water mine about once a week and give them indirect sunlight as well as fluorescent light. You can find the burro's tail from online stores and exotic plants shops. Your best bet is to just check out every place that sells plants. Good luck!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: suggestions please...| Next thread: Suicidal Cardinal »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: