The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pinching back tomatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: pinching back mint| Next thread: Pincushion Plant »
Back to Thread index
by Matt M on June 16, 2004 07:38 PM
I cage my tomato plants and every year they eventually out grow the 5' cages I have and I am torn as to what to do next. Do I pinch them back, stake them as they grow taller, let them grow up and over and flop over the side, etc. If the right thing to do is to pinch back so the on vine fruits ripen, what is the best way? clippers, fingers? And where on the plant do I pinch back, or does it not matter?

Thanks!
by JustAGirl on June 16, 2004 09:43 PM
I'm just an amateur so my opinion may mean nothing to you, but my tomatoes outgrow the cages also. I just stake them. The tall bamboo stakes I get work perfect and the plant isn't all over the place.
by gardengal on June 16, 2004 11:56 PM
[wayey] Howdy Matt and JustAGirl... here is an interesting article that should help you with any pruning questions for your tomatoes.

pruning tomatoes

It covers a lot of information, very interesting. [teacher]

Good luck and happy gardening!

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by pagarden on June 17, 2004 11:51 PM
wow- that site was great! i was just gonna say i pinch off the suckers. now i know i can do more though! thanks for the article!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pinching back mint| Next thread: Pincushion Plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: