The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Here is my mom's day flower..show us yours!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by dodge on May 16, 2006 10:31 AM
dodgeLet all show off our Mom's day flowers.. Here is my beauty from my son and wife.

-

enjoy......

[clappy] [clappy] [clappy]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Sir Ts Princess on May 16, 2006 02:31 PM
I got 18 Begonias!! Your flowers are beautiful, it looks like two diffrent types of flowers, what are they? I don't think my Begonia's are any special kind...they look like regular red and pink tuberous begonias. [grin]

-
by dodge on May 16, 2006 03:04 PM
sIR TS pRINCESS

Angel winged begonias .Only one type.. DOubt if it is a tuber.

dodge

dont know

-
 -
by dodge on May 16, 2006 03:05 PM
sIR TS pRINCESS

Angel winged begonias .Only one type.. DOubt if it is a tuber.

dodge

dont know
show me yours, please...

-
 -
by Sir Ts Princess on May 16, 2006 03:43 PM
Mine weren't potted when he got them, they were still in the nursery containers...so...I found them new homes...and gave some to my MIL for Mother's Day (what can I say, my room could only hold so many!) Each one is potted with another "ever green" type of plant. hehehe. But, it makes for neat arrangements. The pics are here:

-
 -
 -
 -

-
by dodge on May 17, 2006 12:42 PM
sr ts princess,

How charming they are.. They have dark foilage? I had one last year and it just stood still.. Finally died......
Couple years before they grew like a wild cat..Then quit.. Do those have double blossoms?
They are sweet.. I put mine out on the porch hanging.. After may 31......No frost we hope. I once had an pink angel wing about 6 foot tall an pink blossoms.....Begonias are so neat.. I love the pot with leaves on the side..
DO you plant them outside in the summer?

Thanks for sharing......Flowers make me smile.

dodge

-
 -
by Sir Ts Princess on May 17, 2006 01:49 PM
Well, this is the first time I've ever really had more than one Begonia. The first one...well, lets just say I got it before I knew much of ANYTHING about gardening. [Smile] I doubt they will be outside this summer, not much shade around here anymore since the tornado ripped through last year. It gets scorching hot here. I did move my MIL's outside to a very large clay pot, but opted for the pot should we need to move them back indoors, it's better than having to dig them up.

No, mine are not double blooms, they are all single ones. The plants with the red flowers have dark leaves (a purple color almost) and the plants with the pink flowers have a lighter green colored leaf. I heard that here in our area, you could put them in partial shade, but...there's not enough shade for so many plants. And no porches anymore..... :/ I've spent all day today working on reclaiming my inlaws yard from the weeds. But that's going to be a very long, ongoing task. I'm determined that if I'm gonna live here, it's gonna have gardens! Not weed gardens, but GARDENS!! I'm working on the back patio area first, and will branch off from there until EVENTUALLY...hehehe we have GARDENS...flowers...foliage, pretty stuff!! And, the patio will look much nicer for all her family get togethers and cook outs. She likes flowers, but well...she kills them because she just doesn't have the time to tend gardens like she'd like. I have the time, and the desire. So, as long as I can plant what I want...she can enjoy the beauty with NO WORK!!

Oh, the pot with the leaves on the side is actually a dish. It doesn't drain well...it belongs to my FIL. When he was in the hospital around Christmas someone sent him some nice greenery in it. He loved the plants, but they were all dying, too root bound, too dry. I took them all out and repotted them in something bigger. Then, when I ran out of pots for the begonias...well...I put a few in that dish and sat it on my MIL's piano. Today, I repotted several of her house plants, one, which was a peace lilly, had to be broken down into 3 pots!! No wonder it was dying!! And she kept saying "oh just give it more water". Uh huh. Tomorrow I'm going to tackle her palms and about anything else that looks 1/2 dead that I can get my hands on!!

-
by dodge on May 17, 2006 02:08 PM
Sir Ts Princess

I am so sorry to hear that ..Tornado.My neice is in florida, upper part, she had coverage in a stone building and was ok.....
Glad your so willing to work.. The beauty lies with in..(Your soul).
Now your correct Begonisa love part shade. I know it must be hard to start all over again. If you had some of the trillis fencing you could put up one for a roof like..Top of 4 poles for some shade......I think.
I know I am too far off to help, but my prayers are with you, and so is advice if I know the answers.

Good Luck

Dodge [clappy]

-
 -
by bettyboop1948 on May 18, 2006 12:52 AM
Here is one I got for Mother's day
 - not sure what the name is
just know in the cacti family
bettyboop1948 [thumb]
by bettyboop1948 on May 18, 2006 12:53 AM
here is another pic of it too
 - hope every one had a great moms day
bettyboop1948
by dodge on May 18, 2006 04:57 AM
bettyboop1948

That is kool. For moms day.. Our kids know us well.
I think it is in the hen and chickens family ..Or I have another type if I can find the photo to show you.

Love your easy name too..;o)

[clappy] [clappy] [clappy]
i will hunt that one

dodge

-
 -
by Sir Ts Princess on May 18, 2006 08:31 AM
I like the Cacti, very nice. If I had more succulants, I would plant them together, but...I think there's only one in this house and I don't remember it's name. Anyways.... you got a really nice mother's day "flower". Best luck on it's growth and health.

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: