The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dahlias

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Dahlias| Next thread: Dahlias »
Back to Thread index
by Liz S on May 15, 2006 01:49 AM
I am getting ready to plant my Dahlias. I have not planted them before and am wondering what kind of spread they have. The majority of them state 4-5' bush. Do I leave that much space around them? Or is that just a vertical measurement and if so how much space should I allow? Any help would be appreciated.
Liz
by afgreyparrot on May 15, 2006 02:03 AM
Hi, Liz..... [wavey]
Welcome to the forum!

My dahlias get pretty big, and I have them about 2-3' apart.
I always plant my stuff closer together than the planting instructions say, because I like my gardens full.

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by johnCT on May 15, 2006 02:19 PM
Dahlias grow more tall than they do wide. At least that's my experience in the two years I've been growing them. I would say just space them a couple feet apart and stake them.

John - Zone 6
by dodge on May 17, 2006 12:45 PM
I agree with John,

they are so nice to grow.....

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by LandOfOz on May 17, 2006 05:23 PM
Do you guys use a ground cover with those? I recently planted some lovely blueish/purpley dahlias (they are just starting to poke out of the ground) and was wondering what to plant underneath them.

Thanks
Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Liz S on May 20, 2006 10:13 AM
Thanks for the help. I am also interested as Sarah about a ground cover. Since this is my first time with Dahlias, I am worried about disease and slugs.
Thanks again,
Liz

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dahlias| Next thread: Dahlias »
Back to Thread index