The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fern

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Feeling cheated!| Next thread: Fern »
Back to Thread index
by JLM on October 11, 2005 02:50 AM
I have a fern plant that is pretty small, it looks like it hasn't been growing for too long. One of the stems and leaves on some of it are black and brown. How do I take care of this fern so it grows nice and green? What do I do with that dying part?

Jaime [Wink]
by margaret e. pell on October 11, 2005 10:25 PM
I don't know much about ferns, but I'd say some nice fresh soil (check the roots while you're in there, remove dead parts, see if the soil's too wet or dry deeper than you can normally check, and adjust your watering if needed), keep the soil evenly moist, never waterlogged, give it an hour or two of filtered morning sun, like in an east window behind other plants, or just a lot of bright indirect light. Remove, with care and a scizzor, not pulling, any dead ot dying leaves. This should keep it going until someone who knows more about ferns answers you. Also, don't some ferns have dormant periods?

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Jiffymouse on October 11, 2005 11:23 PM
mep has the right idea. and, what ever light the current fronds (leaves) grew in are what it will do best in. but, as long as you have the little tendrils at the base of the plant where the new fronds are coming up, you have hope!

you can cut any and all dead and dying fronds back to the soil without hurting your plant. and the new fronds will be more suited to the area where you have it.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Feeling cheated!| Next thread: Fern »
Back to Thread index