The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

starts with a seed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Starting with indoor plants| Next thread: State Flowers »
Back to Thread index
by Tiffwel on May 10, 2006 06:33 PM
Hello again everyone [wavey] . This time I would like to ask a question about growing from seed. I recently started Dahlia and Zinnia seeds and I am waiting for them to germinate. I also have several other kinds of seeds that I have not started yet and those take alot longer to start growing. Those are: Carnation, Foxglove, English Daisy, Lupine, and a perennial wildflower mix that contains Aster, Godetia, Mountain Garland, Coreopsis, Cosmos, Coneflower, Cal. Poppy, Snapdragon, Blue Bell and alot more. My question is... is it OK to start the other seeds now and keep them inside through the winter? I know that (if I do) when they are big enough to put outside on there own it will probably be July, August or even September:(for the slow growing seeds). I just love to watch flowers grow, develop and [flower] bloom [flower] and I also enjoy the challenge of getting them as big as I possibly can! Will they be OK inside the whole time until next spring? Should I wait until fall to start the other ones? Do you have any tips or hints to better seed growing? i am still very new at this whole seed thing [Big Grin] lol! I really appreciate you reading my post and thank you in advance for any help. [thumb]

See ya around everyone!!!

-Tiffany aka Tiffwel [kitty]
by tkhooper on May 10, 2006 09:51 PM
Carnations are biennials they only live for two years. The first year is foliage the second year is the flower and then they self seed and start the process over again. Although you can start them inside once they can be planted outside they should be so that they can reseed and complete their cycle. So I would say plant half this year and half next year to get a good clump going. They prefer not to be mulched from what I've read although I have read that some people do.

Foxglove does not like to be transplanted so you need to put them where they are going to grow. And then they develop a root system that creates plants in other locations. Again this is a biennial first year foliage and second year flower. If you try to keep it in a container I don't think you'll have it comming up a third year. But I've never tried it.

English Daisy and Lupine I don't know.

Of your wildflower mix Poppies don't transplant well. Snapdragons are considered a tender perennial and only live one year in most locations and should be treated as an annual. Cosmo create a rhysome I think and then procreate that way as well as by seed.

My suggestion would be to make a germination table of all the seeds that you have and keep them until the appropriate time to start them and then do it that way. Many flowers need 4 seasons to do well. Most plants that do well inside are tropicals that need constant warm temperatures. Most seeds will remain viable for many years. There are exceptions but as you research the germination information for each one you will also find out that information.

Good luck with your garden.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Starting with indoor plants| Next thread: State Flowers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: