The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pincushion Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Pinching back tomatoes| Next thread: pine borers »
Back to Thread index
by Smh023 on October 11, 2005 01:30 AM
I just received a pincushion plant as a gift. It is in a small terracotta pot about the size of the one in the picture. It came with care instructions and says to keep evenly moist. Well I can't see the soil so how do I know if it is evenly moist? Do I need to repot this? I plan on keeping it inside.
Thanks.
 -
by tkhooper on October 11, 2005 01:43 AM
What a cool plant. I see the problem. Hard to get to the soil with the plant like that isn't it. I'm a beginner so I don't have an answer but I'm sure someone will.

-
 -
by mom54 on October 11, 2005 01:45 AM
That plant is adorable!!!!! What I would do is fill the saucer with water and after about half an hour, if there's any left, dump it out. Looks like a succulent, so it shouldn't need it but about once a week. I know there are house-plant lovers who know about this plant. Maybe someone knows the botanical name. That way, you could look it up. I'd look it up under the common name too.

-
by Smh023 on October 12, 2005 01:45 AM
Thanks everyone.

So do I need to repot this plant?
by Smh023 on October 12, 2005 09:45 PM
????????????
by Jiffymouse on October 12, 2005 10:28 PM
lift it out of the pot gently. if the roots are wrapped around the outside, then yes, repot. otherwise, let it go for a while. but if you repot, don't go larger than 1 inch larger than the original pot.
by Smh023 on October 12, 2005 11:38 PM
THANKS!

So if the roots are wrapped around the outside of the soil?
I will check it and see. [Smile]
by Smh023 on October 12, 2005 11:38 PM
What would happen if the pot was bigger than a inch?
by Jiffymouse on October 13, 2005 12:10 AM
you just have to be extra careful about not over watering. it can be done, just dicey.
by mom54 on October 13, 2005 01:54 AM
You guys are all so smart!!!!!! I think I want one of those!!!!!

-
by Jiffymouse on October 13, 2005 08:29 AM
mrs. pat, they have them at our walmart... about $5! should i bring you one when i come up? (i'm shooting for sometime in the next 2 weeks.)

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pinching back tomatoes| Next thread: pine borers »
Back to Thread index