The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Russian Sage Questiong

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Runner beans not developing| Next thread: rust fungus »
Back to Thread index
by TheGardenerGuy on March 14, 2005 04:51 AM
Hi Everyone... [wayey]
We bought some Russian Sage last summer. How far should they be pruned back before spring starts? [dunno]
Thanks for the help! [thumb]
Greg [gabby] [angel] [lala]

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by alankhart on March 14, 2005 07:31 PM
It is best to only cut it back 12" or less, leaving at least 6". Russian Sage will develop a woody base as it matures, and you don't want to cut down past that base.

-
 -
 -
by blooms4fr on April 01, 2005 05:37 PM
Is your weather starting to break? We have a cold front coming in tonight and below freezing temps. I would not trim any of your plant until your last danger of frost has past. Here it is Memorial Day and after. I haven't trimmed my Russian Sage in 2 years. While outdoors yesterday cleaning up garden debris, I did notice new growth on mine. This leads me to believe that it as other bushes will bloom on last year's growth.Others with more extensive knowledge will better advise you.

-
Julia
"dreams & wishes are the start of fantastic ideas, follow them through"
by obywan59 on April 01, 2005 06:33 PM
Russian sage blooms best on new growth so, my sources say cut it way back to the ground although you can leave a short woody framework at the base like Alankhart suggested and prune it a bit higher. I always cut mine back to the ground. Actually, I pruned mine last fall. It's okay to go ahead and prune yours now, it's plenty hardy, so freezing temperatures won't hurt it.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Fernie on April 03, 2005 04:34 AM
I don't know a whole lot about russian sage but I used to have one that I didn't much like it so I MOWED it down every year about august. Nothing killed that thing. It came back bigger and better every year. The bottom eventually got too woody and tough to mow so I finally chopped it out with various tools and it didn't come back. Maybe they are more delicate if you like having them around?

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by BFVISION on April 05, 2005 03:33 AM
I love Russian Sage [Love] and have done the whack back method [shocked] as well as let it grow, let it grow [Cool] . I prefer to trim it back about one third each fall and let it come back bigger and better next year. The really neat thing is this beauty is sooo easy to propogate [teacher] . I take trimmings in spring and put them into moist peatmoss with a little rooting hormone. In about 6-8 weeks you have a whole new family [thumb] . They look great when mixed in with black-eyed susans too.
Either way its a winner.

Good Luck
BFVISION

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Runner beans not developing| Next thread: rust fungus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: