The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Planting a terrarium

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Addax on October 04, 2005 06:41 AM
Hello all,

I have a question about terrariums, so I hope this is the right place for that.

I have recently acquired a used custom-built aquarium with a custom stand. The built-in tank is 36"L x 13"W x 20"H. I would like to plant this out as a terrarium for my day gecko Otto. He is most comfortable at about 75-77 degrees F with about 60-65% relative humidity and full-spectrum lighting.

Are there plants which would do well in this sort of environment and remain compact enought to fit in my tank? They would need to be fairly sturdy as he climbs all over everything in his tank. Toxicity is also a concern. I had thought about ivy, ferns, and club mosses. Any other thoughts?

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; do then whatever most inspires you to love." ~St. Theresa of Avila
by Sorathien on October 04, 2005 02:20 PM
all i know is that english ivy is poisonous to cockatiels and cats, so i would avoid that.

umm....an orchid might do well. depending on the type you get, they can actually be quite sturdy. they can't stand up to three base-ball sized hermit crabs intent on eating them, but i think they could stand a gecko. their leaves are quite thick and waxy, and they are completely non-toxic, they also like warmth and humidity (most types, not all though, do some research)

that's all i can think of. i'm interested to hear what others say because i'm thinking of building a small turarium in my 10 gallon tank one of these days.
by Jiffymouse on October 04, 2005 11:55 PM
there are quite a few that will do well. the plants that are tropical in nature will be just right for otto. remember, if he is a gecko, he will know what is good for him and what isn't. i'd try some of the mosses you are talking about, but also some tropicals such as peace lily, draceana and anthurium. right now i am drawing a blank as to what else would be good, but if he is no larger than a standard gecko (4 inches maybe?) then he'll be ok on what ever you put in with him. and if you put the plant in a pot before you put it in, that will keep the plant the size you want.
by Addax on October 05, 2005 06:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I probably should have mentioned that Otto is a giant day gecko. He is currently about 7.5 inches long and they can get up to a foot. A friend at work suggested weeping or creeping fig, so I think I'll add that to my possible plants list.

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; do then whatever most inspires you to love." ~St. Theresa of Avila
by tkhooper on October 05, 2005 10:14 PM
Sounds like your gecko wants a bonzai or a walking stick tree but I wouldn't have a clue how to put them in a terrium(sp). Good luck with your project and please let me know how it turns out.

-
 -
by dodge on October 08, 2005 01:50 AM
[thinker]
How about those Bamboo sticks they sell at the Walmart? Don't know if they will kill Geico or not......
Ask a College >>>>>>
dodge
[party]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Sorathien on October 09, 2005 02:16 AM
bamboo is safe. people eat it, it's completely non-toxic.

the most important part of making a turarium with live animals in it is making sure the plants are free of chemicals, including pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and fungicides, etc.
by dodge on October 14, 2005 07:50 AM
[Razz] [Frown] [thumb]
Found out that a plant for the Gecko is called
CEREUS...........

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Jiffymouse on October 15, 2005 12:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dodge:
[Razz] [Frown] [thumb]
Found out that a plant for the Gecko is called
CEREUS...........

if this is the plant you are refering to, it isn't suitable for a terrarium. [Frown] i have one, and it won't hold up to being crawled on, and the bloom spikes get WAY too tall....

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: