The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

what should i plant?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by RosyRuthie on May 08, 2006 01:33 PM
hi everyone! i was wondering.. my frined moved into an apartment and she has a huge! balconey on the east side of the building on the third floor. besides the petunias which everyone else has what are some plants that will do well on the balconey? the direction faces due east. she wants a fruit tree... will it pollinate up there?? does not seem like the bees would get up there.... does lavender need more sun than just an easterly one? i though maybe lavender but was not sure as have never grown any... also would a rose need more sun than that? thanks...
happy gardening

Please remember to hug your kids everyday! [Smile]
by Wrennie on May 09, 2006 05:34 AM
The bees will get up there. My shop is in a 3 story house. And I see bees up high all the time.
I would go with any flower that foes Ok in sun to part shade. I assume she gets about 1/2 day of sun?

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by tkhooper on May 09, 2006 12:18 PM
I don't have a green thumb and have trouble with roses that aren't in the ground. But I have heard that some people are successful with them. So I would say it depends on her plant intuition.

Portulaca are super easy and would love the location.

Celosia would also do well there but they need to be started from seed because they don't grow once they are transplanted. That is unless you have that green thumb that I don't have.

If you are going to do dwarf fruit trees my suggestion would be to get two. It would look good from a landscaping standpoint and would help with the polination.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: