The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need tip for buying flowers to plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by adifrank on May 07, 2006 07:11 PM
Hi. I'm new here. I'd like to ask your opinions on which are the best flowers to plant in a shady area, in New York, during this time of year?

I'm looking for the most colorful, inexpensive flowers that will last for at least 2 or 3 months.

Thank you.
by slredmond on May 08, 2006 12:26 AM
Shade or Semi-Shade: Annual Phlox, Balsam, Begonia, Bellflower, Calendula, Clarkia, Coleus, Dwarf Lobelia, Forget-Me-Not, Four O'Clock, Flowering Tobacco, Godetia, Impatiens, Larkspur, Nasturtium, Pansy, Sweet Alyssum, Verbena, Wallflower, Wishbone Plant

Sandy R.
by netty on May 08, 2006 12:31 AM
I also like Browallia for shady area's. But they seems to be kind of hard to find, at least around here. And you can't go wrong with Impatiens [thumb]

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 08, 2006 01:52 AM
how big of an area do you have??if you look in my photobucket last page .. you will see you can get just about any flower to grow in the shade..
my area is north facing and you can get perrenial Phlox.daisies, bleeding hearts,ferns and hosta just to give a little folige, Columbine,hardy mums ,a bunch of lilies, Hyddrangea..
You will probably want to mix the above perrenial(come back every year) with some annuals which will bloom all season but not come back for next year.. I do well with marigolds petunias .. of course the impatients . Coleus is pretty folige.
I like some of the decorative grasses as well. dusty miller, salva I thaink that is the name of it .. hope this helps Rita

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by tkhooper on May 08, 2006 04:56 AM
I also have love lies bleeding in my shade garden along with peonies. But the peonies are not cheap even if you buy the rhysome and wait the 3 to 7 years for it's first bloom like I am. Peonies are worth the expense to me because they are so beautiful and live for upwards to 75 years along with being drought tolerant after they become acclimated to their home.

I also have malva and I love the flowers on them in my shade garden.

-
 -
by tj on May 08, 2006 06:14 AM
I asked the same question and everyone helped me out! this is what I put in my shady spot....
 -
 -
they are all still babies, but the blooms are getting thick and colorful [Smile]
by joclyn on May 08, 2006 06:22 AM
hostas also do very well in shade
by adifrank on May 08, 2006 01:40 PM
Thanks all for the excellent tips and information. You've helped me out.

Ed Frank
by slredmond on May 09, 2006 05:32 AM
Gorgeous lawn, TJ. Will you please come pull up my dandelions?! [Big Grin]

Sandy R.
by Budman on May 09, 2006 05:43 AM
Looks like new sod to me. Very nice looking grass. I am trying to establish a new lawn of Rebel Turf Type Tall Fescue and I have a ways to go before it looks as lush as that picture. I am GREEN with envy..... [Big Grin]
by tj on May 09, 2006 08:41 AM
thank you! I love the new lawn too. it really looks a lot better now (you can't see the lines much at all now). I'll try to get an updated pic today. [Smile]

Have a great day all

P.s. slredmond...........Don't you just hate dandelions?!!!! LOL, then my granddaughter comes over the other day and blew a "fairy" into the wind and all over my new lawn [shocked]
by patches1414 on May 09, 2006 08:20 PM
My favorites are Impatiens and Begonias for beautiful flowers, Coleus and Persian Shield for colorful foliage, mixed in with Hostas, Ferns (especially Japanese Painted Fern), Coral Bells, and Astilbe.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: