The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

is there a rose plant (not bush?)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by hinda on September 29, 2005 04:22 PM
about amonth ago i "salvaged" a houseplant that my mil wanted to throw out - no one had cared for it in a while and it looked in bd shape. i took it home instead and cut off the parts that were dead. i thought they dead flowers looked like roses but now i think that this might be a rose houseplant - does such a thing actually exist? the stem are thin green and have thorn. the leave are green and grow back very quickly - i had to cut most everything off and there was new growth less than a week later -but no flowers yet. i dont have a camera - but i though you guys could help me if you could tell me if roses can be houseplants too. and if so what is the best way to care for it. thanks!! [kissies]
by mike57 on September 29, 2005 10:28 PM
[wayey] HI Hinda it could be a miniature Rose
miniature roses are surprisingly easy to grow as houseplants.miniature roses range in size from micro minis which grow to about five inches tall.some miniature roses can grow up to a height four feet or more. The flowers are from 1/2 inch to 2 inches in diameter depending on the type and come in a full range of colors that are similar to that of full sized roses.Unfortunately miniature roses have little or no fragrance.But They are hardier than standard roses and easy to grow and they flower for a long period of time.when grown indoors as a potted plant a miniature rose needs a little special care though.even when grown in a real sunny window they might need to have a alternate light source. You will know your rose isn't getting enough light if the stems seem to stretch out leaving wide spaces between the leaves.miniature roses also need
lots of humidity if kept indoors. Set your pot in a tray of pebbles with water. The pebbles will support the pot above the water level so the soil doesn't become waterlogged. As the water evaporates it will provide the plant with extra humidity water only after the soil get a little on the dry side just keep them a little moist. If your home is very dry run a cool mist vaporizer now and then close to it.hope this helps and good luck with your plant.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by hinda on September 29, 2005 11:11 PM
thanks so much mike - i am so escited that i actually know what i have now lol!! i will hopefully keep the roses for a long time - though i havent the best track record this year [tears]
by RugbyHukr on September 29, 2005 11:51 PM
Miniature Roses

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by tkhooper on September 30, 2005 09:29 PM
Good luck hinda.

I haven't had any success with miniature roses indoors but they do great outdoors. With me it is the drafts. The roses don't like them.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: