The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Anthurium assistance!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Anthurium| Next thread: anthurium in shock? »
Back to Thread index
by Addax on September 29, 2005 02:11 AM
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and am having some trouble with my Anthurium (I don't know the species). I've had it about 4 months and last week the leaves started turning brown at the tips. Many of the leaves are now nearly all brown and the spathes, which were pink, are turning a dirty white and starting to wilt. Any comments or suggestions?

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; do then whatever most inspires you to love." ~St. Theresa of Avila
by Will Creed on September 29, 2005 09:22 AM
Hi Addax,

Can you post a photo so we can see the extent of the brown leaf tips. Tell us about the light that it receives and how you water it.
by Addax on October 04, 2005 06:15 AM
Hi,

Sorry, no photo as of now. My Anthurium receives bright, but indirect, light from an east-facing window five days a week. Two days a week (my weekends) I move it onto my balcony, also east-facing, but shady, to get some fresh air. I mist it daily, a few spritzes with a bottle, and water when the surface of the soil feels dry, usually every three days or so. I usually give it a big drink before it goes on the balcony, just in case the temperature gets really high, which happens in Texas!

Thanks for the help!

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; do then whatever most inspires you to love." ~St. Theresa of Avila
by Will Creed on October 04, 2005 08:16 AM
Hi Addax,

I think the problem may be the move outside every weekend. Although you say it is in shade when outside, the light is nonetheless probably 100 times brighter outside. That much change is hard for a plant to adjust to. In addition, the heat and dry air (daily misting is of little consequence) may be causing a problem, as well. Depending on the potting medium, it could dry out daily.

I suggest that you trim off the discolored leaf tissue and leave the Anthurium inside in a bright location.
by Addax on October 04, 2005 08:24 AM
Will do, Will! Hopefully that will help.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Anthurium| Next thread: anthurium in shock? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: