The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help with young apple trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by nana on March 30, 2004 04:09 PM
I'm new to this site....not sure what i'm doing. We have 13 young apple trees that have been chewed all around the trunks over the winter by mice and rabbits.....is there anything we can do to save these trees??

believe in yourself and anything is possible!
by Jiffymouse on March 30, 2004 05:24 PM
[wayey] hi nana [wayey] welcome to the garden helper. i am going to move this post to the fruit and vegetable section so you can get a proper answer. hope you like it here.
by weezie13 on April 07, 2004 06:23 AM
I'm bringing this one back to the top!!

Anyone/?
Papito, Phil, Bill????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by obywan59 on April 13, 2004 09:15 AM
Same thing happened to me last year and The trees didn't seem to be harmed. Growth seemed normal. I think if the rabbits chew only through the bark and not through the cambian (the slimey layer underneath) they should be okay. This year I put some tree tubes with a slit down one side around all my apple trunks. That worked until I took them off to spray my dormant oil and didn't reinstall them. I think a cat is clawing some of my trunks also. Next year I'll get some hardware cloth (wire mesh) and loosely wrap the trunks with it. It should be about 18 inches tall or even higher if you have deep snowfall.

You might want to spray some fungicide on the damaged areas as a preventative, but I'm not sure that's necessary.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by morningstar on May 05, 2004 07:13 AM
Hi. New here. Just bought property in November and have a question about the use of dormant oil on Apple trees. When do you put this on the trees? The trees have flowered and the blooms have fallen off. Is it too late to use the dormant oil on the trees? Thanks!

Dawn
[dunno]
by obywan59 on May 05, 2004 07:51 AM
Yes, if it's true dormant oil, it needs to be applied when the trees are dormant--before the blooms and leaves come out. There is a product, though that's similar, but won't harm sensitive foliage. It's called oil away and it can be used all season.

-
Terry

by obywan59 on May 05, 2004 08:02 AM
By the way, welcome! [wayey] We have a forum here for new members, if you would like to introduce yourself and start to meet some of the other members. The Gardener's Forum is a good place to get all your questions answered or just to chat.

-
Terry

by morningstar on May 05, 2004 04:26 PM
Wow! Thanks for the answer so quick. Will have to try to find this. Does Lowes or nurseries carry it? Looks like I can use it on my grapes too. Even pear trees. I have so much new stuff on this property. It's almost overwhelming! I'm sure I will be on here alot asking all kinds of questions.

Dawn
[muggs]
by obywan59 on May 05, 2004 05:16 PM
I don't know if Lowes or anybody like that has it, but you can order it from Garden Supply.

-
Terry

by obywan59 on May 05, 2004 05:18 PM
Oops! I meant Garden's Alive.

-
Terry

by morningstar on May 10, 2004 01:47 AM
Hi again. One more question, for now. lol. We have 3 apple trees, 3 or 4 pear trees and 4 grape vines. Would the quart of Oil Away be enough to treat all of this?

Dawn
by obywan59 on May 10, 2004 06:19 PM
Perhaps. How big are the apple and pear trees?

-
Terry

by morningstar on May 11, 2004 05:03 AM
They are pretty good sized trees. Guessing here but probably about 20 feet tall or so.
by obywan59 on May 11, 2004 02:07 PM
I don't think a quart would be enough as big as your trees are.

-
Terry

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: