The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aloe with Snow

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Aloe with Fungus?| Next thread: Alpine Sea Holly »
Back to Thread index
by Bubbasweet on September 26, 2005 09:05 AM
Hi My Aloe has a snowy type coating on the leaves and some of the arms are reddish and shrivled on the edges. The snow falls off and becomes sticky. Also when I break some off it really smells bad like an onion. Does my aloe have a disease? I thought aloe shouldn't smell.. I keep it inside now, but had it outside in the summer. After it turned Red I brought it in thought it was too hot? I know nothing about gardening in the slightest. Anyone?
by margaret e. pell on September 26, 2005 07:01 PM
There are over a hundred kinds of aloe and only 2 are medicinal. Some of the others do smell very bad when cut, like a. cameronii. This one turns bright red when given lots of sun and not too much water. In general, all aloe like a lot of sun, though some can tollerate less. As for the "snow" - it sounds like white scale or mealy bugs. Get it away from all your other house plants immediately and spray it with some insecticide. I have found Ced-O-Flora (a borax based concentrate) works well and is safe for plants. 'Safer' brand has corked many of my cacti. Good luck! I grow 18 species of aloe, many of which bloom regularly!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Aloe with Fungus?| Next thread: Alpine Sea Holly »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: