The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Growing veggies in Colorado

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Brooke on March 14, 2004 01:22 AM
Hello all!I'm new to this site and gardening for that matter, so this was a great website to find!
I live in Colorado and attempted my first garden last year. I had great success with lettuces and carrots but not with tomatoes, eggplant, brussel sprouts, cauliflower or broccoli. The last two veggies listed did grow, but all spindly, not round and uniform. And my tomatoes never got big.I did til the soil and put sheep fertilizer in it but I noticed that the soil was always pretty hard and compact. Alot of my veggies
(especially the brussel sprouts) started to grow too late even though I had planted them acccording to the package. Any suggestions on doing a better job this year would be greatly appreciated. Especially with the tomatoes. I use to live in Jersey and miss the great ones you can grow there!
by weezie13 on March 14, 2004 03:29 AM
Hello Again Brooke!!!
I hunted down the post for you that
I remembered about!
A nice gardener in Colorado had a hard time
ripening his tomatoes!!

Lot's of advice in this link
but also about half way down there's a post
by Papito that had some problems of
High Altitude Gardening on it.
Alot of good info there...

Tomato growing at High Altitudes

But it may help a bit...

Please check back as, some gardeners will come through as they log back in after a bit of time...
Check your email notification box so you know when someone's come through and posted to your question!!!

And then do a FORUM SEARCH on tomatoes, you will find a plethera of info on tomatoes here, we have a ton of tomatoe growers here.
Each one has their own favorites and technique's.
So, keep on reading, and give a little bit of time to the other gardeners.
I am quite sure they'll be thru with some advice for you!!!

Happy Gardening!!!
Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Rockfish on March 18, 2004 04:16 AM
Hey Brooke! You said your soil was hard and compact. That is your first problem, it lacks organic matter. It would help us to know what zone you live in and the climate(High desert, Prairie, Mountain). The soil that you are talking about lacks many things that an abundance of Organic Matter would fix. OM makes the soil hold water longer(especially if mulched), drain better, so roots don't rot, atracts worms, and keeps the necessary bacteria alive that feeds the soil that plants need. It sounds like you live in an arid place. OM, tons of mulch and a slow drip irrigation system would help. If you can't irrigate mechanically, do it by hand with a can. You mentioned using sheep's manure. If you can, start your own compost pile. Feed the soil, not the plant.

Rockfish, NC Zone 7
by papito on March 22, 2004 09:30 PM
High Altitude Gardening

Growing Info

Clicking "Growing Info" at the bottom of the screen will take you to "On Line Information Center" where you'll find info on Herbs, Native Grass, Tomatoes, Vegetables and Wildflowers.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: