The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

black spots on my aloe vera plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Lady Buttercup on September 25, 2005 12:37 AM
I have two large aloe plants in pots and both have developed black spots on that inside leaves. The bottom ones look fine but the newer ones have black spots. What do I need to do to save my plants. They are both large. The bottom arms are over a foot long. Help please
by weezie13 on September 25, 2005 01:35 AM
Hello Lady Buttercup,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum,
We're very glad you found us....

I'd like to let you know that I was going
to move your post into the HOUSE PLANT SECTION,
I know you'll recieve a few more response's to
your question there...

And I'd also like to let you know, we have a great little cyber community here and that
there's lot's to do here, thru every season
and the holidays..we have crafts, hobbies, recipes, banter hall for chatting and getting to
know the family here and a game room to keep us
busy, especiall during the winter months...

So, jump right on in and have fun..

P.S. Very cute name...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Lady Buttercup on September 25, 2005 06:39 AM
Thanks Weezie.....I hope someone can tell me what to do about my aloe plants.
by margaret e. pell on September 26, 2005 10:26 PM
Do you know what kind of aloe you have? Most come from places with seasonal rainy times - some from winter rain places, some from summer rain places. All like well draining soil, sun, and to get a bit dry between waterings. Some have surprisingly big root systems. Others, like a. vera, have almost none. My guess is that you've got some root rot going on. I've got a similar thing happening with one of my aloe broomii. It just wants its winter dry spell sooner than I thought it would. I'm going to repot it, same size pot, new dirt to make sure there's no rotting material to promote fungus growth (I use a soil mix with about 50% drainage material), trim off the brown inner leaves, give it more sun and less water.
Let us wish eacho other luck!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by newlife on September 27, 2005 11:31 AM
One of my Aloes has these spots maybe it is sunburn,it wasn't until I had mine outdoors that it developed these. I took the branch off
by Lady Buttercup on September 27, 2005 09:06 PM
Thanks, I will repot and hope for the best. I do have them outside but not in the sun. I bring them in for winter. Don't have a clue what kind they are. Didn't even know there were different kinds. Again....thanks
by margaret e. pell on September 29, 2005 03:18 AM
Check the Institute for Aloe Studies web site: /www.aloestudies.org/. He's got nice pic's, good info, and you can buy plants. There are over 150 species of aloe growing in the Republic of South Africa alone.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum