The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Am I SANE ??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Phil and Laura on February 26, 2004 05:13 PM
Ok, maybe not. [Big Grin] Today is a nice sunny day, although it is 30, thoughts of preperation are confusing me [thinker] Now's me wonderin' bout Laura's sanity as well!! I mentioned to her that I wanted her help, covering the 25x50 plot,(set aside for the SOON TO BE, world record pumpkin), With plastic, this weekend, and all she said was O.K.?? Hmmm, [Frown] no doubting look??Actually this is a good, sound and not so idiotic of a move. First, it will melt the snow on the particular area, secondly,it will raise the ground temp, and thirdly(is that a word?)as the sun and air gets warmer, the heat will build and not only warm the soil, but will provide "solarization" killing off many bad creatures that lay near the suface, and most bacteria and disease. It takes about a month of good, warm sun to do this, since there is no chance of setting the Pumpkin in till at least the last of april(using protection)I will have a head start. This will work for anyones garden...no matter what you are planting [teacher] [grin] [dunno]
by weezie13 on February 26, 2004 08:41 PM
I think you're completely sane Phil!!

I just wish I could stop getting the forhead slappings when I make a suggestion!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Renee on February 26, 2004 10:44 PM
SANE!!!!!?????????!!! Who let you in here! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Oh that's funny, you know that darn gardening bug venom makes us all crazy!!! All of our ideas are perfectly sane at that moment ( actually yours is still a sane idea) But I just love how we have to rationalize ourselves about our actions when we can't stop thinking!!!!!!!! It's one of those....I have the perfect idea...and then you go out and do it......and then you say "look how good that came out!" It's almost like you knew better before you could explain to others why!!! [dunno] Good luck on your new venture!!! BTW I'm assuming you use black plastic for the heat retention?
by Phil and Laura on February 27, 2004 12:10 AM
You would sure think that black plastic would work better [thinker] but I have tried both (and monitored the soil temps with a temperature probe) clear plastic will heat up the soil much better. Black plastic will absorb sunlight and get very warm itself; However,not as much heat gets down to the soil. Clear plastic, on the other hand, allows the heat to get down into the soil and then acts as a greenhouse to hold it in. Try it yourself but I have found that clear poly works better. Transparent plastic produces a greenhouse effect because it transmits incoming energy (light), which heats the soil, and the lil weeds [Razz] sprout and burn up!!Just leave a minimal clearance 4" max. anything higher and then wind gets underneath and takes your heat.I toss out bricks, small smooth limbs, etc, and cover with 6mil clear plastic. [thumb]
by shamarian on February 27, 2004 04:43 AM
Oh nooooooooo,I was plannin on warmin up my soil early too but I wasent going to try it with a foot and a half of snow on top of it!!!!!Actually the other day I was out shoveling snow off of some of my raised beds because I wanted to get some measurements. No doubt my neighbor thinks I'm insane like Phil.My husband and I are both always nuts for spring, a friend always asks me if my husbands out with the blow torch melting the snow yet?[its a good thing we dont have one]
No Phil your not insane, theres another word for you,"a garden opportunist" and thats a good thing!

I am old, and repotting wont help!
by apples on February 27, 2004 04:57 AM
Hey I was just reading about solerization today in this new book I got(Rodale's all-new encyclopedia of Oganic Gardening) It sounds like a very good technic for outdoor gardening [Razz] (take no ofence, the tounge is a reference to my lack of ability to use my outdoor space [Razz] )
As for that book I got [thumb] Almost two inches of practical knowlge thick with no pics and very subtle puns as to keep it formal. If want crazy picture someone triming a 2 1/2 foot shrub in their front yard almost upside down in a foot of snow in preperation for an air layering for bonzai in the spring. Got a strange look from the neighbour [grin] !

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by Rick on February 27, 2004 09:24 AM
I only wish I could start something like that here. Shoveling off any of my raised beds would be nearly impossible this year. There's about 5' of snow on the garden right now, and this winter isn't done with us. I'm hoping we lose some as it's supposed to be comparatively warm thru Sunday, but I'm not expecting all this to melt until the end of April or later. I'll be happy if I can bust into the compost pile this weekend and get potting soil I didn't have time to bring in last fall. At least I think I can find the pile. Haven't seen this much snow since the late 70s and early 80s.
Rick
by Phil and Laura on February 27, 2004 03:15 PM
Ok, first off...Shamarion, WANNA BORROW MY TORCH? [Big Grin] got me one of those fancy propane flame throwers!!! [gabby] and yes there is a foot of snow(but there won't be with the temps and rain this weekend!)
APPLES, I have two Rodales OGE's a vintage one, and a newer one, LOVE EM', if you follow the advice, you can't go wrong, just make your own refinements. [thumb]
Rick, man O man,5' of snow, Geez, thought Shamarion and I had it bad. Any way folks, barring a change in weather, Laura and I will be out getting our GIANT Pumpkin spot ready this weekend!!! [wayey]
by shamarian on February 28, 2004 08:57 AM
No thanks on the flame thrower, like to see something green during the growing season.Betcha its a good weed torture tho.

by apples on February 28, 2004 10:38 AM
Gees Phil! [Roll Eyes]
quote:
if you follow the advice, you can't go wrong, just make your own
Your suposed to say you can't grow wrong. That's how they do it cause not only is it a pun but could have been what they ment to say at the same time [grin] !!!
Does Laura actualy let you use that thing in your yard [shocked] ! How long is the flame.
Phil has gone crazy [devil] [Mad] [Mad] [devil]
[Big Grin] Just joking Phil! But seriously, what do you do with it?

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by Phil and Laura on February 29, 2004 02:42 AM
[Big Grin] Yes Phil is SANE [lala] Should have seen him climb the tree today. That was after we planted some seed's in the basement. There is Never a dull moment here with him. He is sorting a puzzle right now. As soon as I am done on here we are going to work on it. Laura [wayey]
by Rick on February 29, 2004 09:17 AM
We've managed to lose a fair amount of the snow in the last several days, but there's a long way to go. Been in the 40º the last several days. Supposed to last thru Monday. We're supposed to get that rain too. Hope they don't change the forecast to snow instead. I can actually see the top of the fence along the south edge of the garden today. Did get a path dug to the compost pile and basically got it uncovered today. My back is more than telling me about it too. Tomorrow, out comes the mattock. It can thaw in the greenhouse. Guess that's the difference between Minnesota and Michigan. The great lakes protect us to a degree from some of the extreme cold, but makes us pay for that in lake effect snow, and very little sunshine, especially during December and January. Even after living around here for 30 years, this kind of winter drives me nuts.
Rick
by Phil and Laura on February 29, 2004 04:10 PM
Rick, well I decided myself to wait till today or tomorrow to do the spot, [dunno] really still about 14" of snow out there in that particular spot, but it is 38 right now, warming and a light rain, the snow is going fast [thumb] , besides that, working with 6 mil plasitc, each sheet being 50'x12', in the wind(about 10 mph. yesterday) would have been hard, [Roll Eyes] Laura doesn't weigh much,May have had to go north to fetch her if the wind caught her right!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] So Shamarion, if you see a woman sailing by, please email me , so I can come fetch her!! [Big Grin] [thumb] [gabby]
by shamarian on March 01, 2004 02:15 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Lol neighbor I'll have to say that Laura of yours must be a pretty good gal.Those big rolls of plastic can take you far from home sometime [perplexed]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: