The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Garden Huckleberry?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Garden Help| Next thread: Garden Humor »
Back to Thread index
by shamarian on February 19, 2004 05:55 AM
Has anyone out there grown Garden Huckleberry before.I'd never even heard of it till this year till I came across some seeds and pictures of the berry covered bushes.They would just be an annual in my zone and they are suppose to be grown just like a tomato or pepper plant.I like to always try something new every year but space is a rich commodity in my garden so I dont want to waste the space if its a fluke.I do know that you can't eat them fresh and they must be totally ripe and soft and then cooked with lots of sugar before they are even edible. [dunno] Any more info would be greatly appreciated [Wink]

I am old, and repotting wont help!
by Rick on February 19, 2004 09:12 AM
shamarian,
Could you describe these in a little more detail? This is part of a group of plants with overlapping common names that describe very different plants. Could they also be called Ground Cherries? Do the berries have paper husks?
Rick
by shamarian on February 19, 2004 05:07 PM
No Rick,I grew up with ground cherries and know them well. This plants real name is "Solanum Melanocerasum"[dont you just love those technical terms?]. From what I've searched there are two kinds of Huckleberry, ones a perenial bush I think that can grow quite large and then theres this annual version named Garden Huckleberry that is supposably suppose to give you a good crop in one season.I got the seed last year from Burgess as a free packet and just put it away not thinking much of it. But then this year I have been bying alot of fun new seeds on Ebay and they were selling like hotcakes with good pictures and good info.I kinda sounds like its a forgotten plant from way back and is rarely grown anymore because of why I do not know. I khow they will taste exacly like a Blueberry only after they are totally ripe,heavily sweetened and cooked.

by weezie13 on February 19, 2004 05:32 PM
Probably because everyone likes instant things, and you have to wait until they'll "totally ripe"
Then you "have to cook it" and then you have to "do stuff to it taste good"
You know what I mean, wait to long for an end product. You can't just pick them and eat them.

They do sound good.....
And into muffins would sound good...

If you find out what to do with them,
will you keep us posted???

Do you grow any other fruit??

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Rick on February 19, 2004 08:52 PM
shamarian,
Regarding your statement:
"This plants real name is "Solanum Melanocerasum" [dont you just love those technical terms?]"
Yes, I do. Although the names can be a bugger, they do put an end to confusion and mis-identification. With this plant being part of the Nightshade family, correct ID is very important. Found this in "seed to seed, first edition:
Commonly grown in the tropics of west Africa. Plant is 3-5' and branching, producing 1/2" shiny black berries. The leaves are slightly toxic when raw but are cooked for greens in parts of Africa. The berries can be used in jams, pies, and preserves. The plants are self pollinating. Treat like tomatoes. Didn't find anything on what kind of yield to expect.
Rick
by papito on February 19, 2004 10:01 PM
more info:

Ext. Huckleberry Info

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_MV080
(click garden huckleberry for picture)

The site below is health related info on the nightshade family.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=asknutr&dbid=60

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by shamarian on February 19, 2004 11:19 PM
Wow thanks Rick and Papito for all that information,I think I'm going to give them a try.It is interesting tho that no one thus far has ever grown them themselves.And yes Weezie I grow wonderful raspberries along the south side of my house and currants and gooseberries and I've ordered some Blueberry plants called "Tophat"
this year,I'm so excited!!!Pretty much my whole gardening area is on a pretty good slope and I have limited sun,but if I had the space and sun I know I would have an orchard. I've tried growing apple trees 3 times[with somewhat considerable expense] but I've always lost them.My uncle owned an orchard for years and even he didnt know what kept happening.We did use to have a Black Walnut tree out in our back yard and I blame the poison from their roots for killing many things. I just ramble on and on dont I?? So anyway I grow what fruit I can and thats probably why I like trying anything new and hope it will work.

by Phil and Laura on February 20, 2004 12:33 AM
Howdy Neighbor! I tried some garden huckleberry two seasons ago, they didn't do well for me, I am not sure what went wrong [dunno]
by weezie13 on February 20, 2004 01:53 AM
Shamarian,

Question also on your apples....
Have you ever heard of the apple trees that
grow in a straight line???

And can be grown into containers????

And no you don't ramble on, I enjoy every bit of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, right now I"m supposed to be cooking dinner, and I'm gonna get yelled at!! Yeah, right!!!)
But I'll come back tonight and write some more
about the fruits...

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by shamarian on February 20, 2004 03:38 AM
What happened neighbor, did they not grow at all??? Did they not produce???? Did you get the soil acidic enough???? I really want to give it my best shot and being your in the exact same climate as me ,you are my best source.Did you start them from seed under lights or start them outside???? Send your knowledge on over good neighbor.
Weezie, are you referring to those apple trees that are super dwarf and go straight up?? I've seen them in all the catalogs but they are super pricey for the amount of apples that they are limited to bear.Maybe sometime down the line I'll invest in another apple tree for here, but you see........I have a dream.My dream is to get back out in the country[on flat ground] raise chickens,
ducks maybe a couple goats.Then I will have a big berry garden, an orchard,a vegetable garden and will sell eggs and my produce and sit around and talk smart with my husband and babysit our grandchildren. That is when I will tend to those apple trees that I am now unable to grow.Its good to have a dream, just hope this happens before I'm 150 years old!!!!
P.S I forgot about a little wine, I'll sit down with a little glass of pumpkin wine and watch the sunset everynight, and remember how the gardeners forum helped me to find the recipe!!!!

by Rick on February 20, 2004 08:37 AM
for cold hardy fruit trees, check out Miller Nurseries. I got 2 apple, a pear and a peach from them and they're doing well. As long as I can keep the rabbits off of them.
Rick
by Phil and Laura on February 20, 2004 01:43 PM
Shamarion, I had only a few seeds, and I regret to say, did not give them the attention that they were do, Two seasons ago I had taken on a garden "Buddy" who was here to plant, and here to harvest(except the green beans#@%$&*@)left me up to my ...Well with a bunch of green beans, to harvest on my own and all the garden chores to do alone + everything else, concentrated on the food garden, I will check my fancy Extension service Bible and get back with you on Minnesota guidelines for this good tasting(I did eat one helping)berry.
by Danaus29 on February 20, 2004 04:58 PM
I tried the Garden Huckleberry twice. They need to be started indoors very early (about now) in zone 5 and farther north. Mine didn't produce many berries and what little were produced the birds got before September was over. The soil they were grown in was central Ohio clay, they got plenty of water and compost though.
by shamarian on February 20, 2004 09:25 PM
Rick, I really love Miller Nursery and have used them many times[grapes,gooseberries,dreams]they were good quality and their website forum was very helpful about zone tolerance.I also do enjoy the good fortune of having Farmer Seed and Nursery in my own town.Their catalog is maybe on the lower end of the scale but in the spring they have a very good bare root stock for retail and if I catch it early, theres a very good inventory
to choose from also.Thanks for the info Danaus29,
I'm gonna start them right today now that you said that,thanks again

by weezie13 on February 20, 2004 09:43 PM
Shamarian,
Please keep us posted!!
That's half of our fun of gardening is hearing the out come of our helping!!!

We'd love to know all the where's and what's of what you did, (*even the mistakes) so we gardeners can learn from them, and the ones, that like to read, and never really ask the questions, and for the future gardeners that come through in the future....

Thank you so much...

We would love to hear about all of the fruit you grow...

The QVC has some gardening specials coming up...
Here's a link to the post I posted it on, also has a QVC link~hookup to it too!!
But it has some fruit, for pots, like a container blueberry..
Hey take a peak, you never know, make sure you have all your catalog's with you and know your' prices, sometimes you can find good deals....
In the garden with QVC

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by shamarian on February 21, 2004 02:48 AM
Thanks Weezie
I dont think I've ever watched QVC at all,never seen anything with gardening on it,usually clothes and jewlery.So I'm excited to watch it,have to think of projects to get done in front of the TV tomorrow.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Garden Help| Next thread: Garden Humor »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: