The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

indoor crops?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by apples on February 04, 2004 03:39 PM
Hello, I'm pretty new to gardening haven't done much outside mainly indoor plants and such which brings me to my question. I don't have the space outside for the time being and was wondering what my best and most plentifull options would be for an indoor garden. I have a room in the basement that is pretty well lit and if need be I can put in some artifical lighting. Just for fun I threw some seeds from a sweet pepper in a pot and they are doing quite well. I don't know how big they get though or if they will fruit even so thats a question. Another idea I had was to grow a kiwi female and train the male into a bonzai as this is a practice I am more familiar with. I'm thinking is would be a good idea in terms of space as long as it has enough flowers. I also have a calamondin orange tree which isn't a big food supply but thats ok! I'm not looking to have a full food source I just like the idea of receiving the gift of nurishment strait from a plant and watching the process. If though I can get BIGGER FOOD then yum!!! [grin]

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by weezie13 on February 04, 2004 03:52 PM
Hey Apples, [wayey]
Can we ask why the indoors is your only
avenue to gardening>??
Can outdoor containers work for you??

You're not locked in that basement are you??
Big Grin [grin] and a WINK~WINK!! [Wink] [Wink]
I'm being funny!

If you do plant indoors, someone like Bill, Will or Phil
(Hey, all you guys rhyme!! [clappy] )
Would have to tell you about light requirements...

But you should read up on self pollenating too!
As unless the windows are duct taped and kept shut, no bees or bugs coming are going to be coming in to cross pollenate for you!!!
(which from what I read is not a difficult process, just should do some reading on it!)

Need any info???

Let us know about the containers, if something like that could work for you??
Papito does alot of his gardening in containers and can help you in that area!!!!
And containers gardening can be QUITE productive!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by apples on February 07, 2004 02:11 AM
Thanks Weezie.
First I would like to say, "THANK YOU CANADA FOR YOUR UNPREDICTABLE WEATHER PATERNS". quote from a freind Yvon.
In a sence I am locked in the basement, at least gardening wise. I am only 19 and still living with my parents and I am practicing being a starving artist with a vegetable garden [grin] ! I am planing on putting all the tree type plants on the porch out back during summer but most arn't hardy enough for winters around here. So, I will keep them trimed. as for the rest I have a small area that I'd like to use for herbs outside but the yard allready has alot of plants, flowers, patio stones exc. in it and alot of my pre-bozais will be in the gound getting fatter trunks andin pots all over the yard and my parentes won't apreciate the crowdedness. But I look forward to any advice you all have to offer!
p.s. I'm already staring to feel at home! [Smile]

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by weezie13 on February 07, 2004 04:47 AM
I remember those days very vividly!!!!
Still fresh in my mind!
Been there, done that,
and mine lives next door to me now too,
(*Just can't get away from parents you know!!!
I'm just kidding*)
(I love my mother to pieces)
And please.......................................
Remember to Thank her for all she's done,
mom's do aloooooooot of work!!)

Does your mom garden???
If you get her *hooked* on gardening,
your space for stuff could become bigger! [grin]

Anyways, the only thing I would think about for
indoors for the plants is, some plants need and require 6 to 8 hours of sunlight a day for fruit production!!! Light would be a concern, I'm guessing because I don't have those types of crops.
The other thing would be to have PAPITO talk to
you about container gardening!!! He has alot of
that type of trees/fruiting/growing in containers,
and would better be able to help you with
what you would need for those types...........
Sit tight, he'll come through.....
Keep asking questions though!!!
We all love to help!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by apples on February 07, 2004 05:54 AM
The way gardening goes here basicly is my dad does the back trimming hedges/trees and planting flowers and filling bird feeders. My mom does the front plants flowers and weeds twice a year. I cut the grass, but it's not realy a very big yard and we already have a few projects that will take up most extra space. Although my mom does mostly control the over all look of the the property strangly horticultre seems to be in the male geans of our household! Me and my dad constantly bring home plants (my dad likes flowers so every week there is new ones) and it drives her crazzy cause she can't find any pace for them and the ones my dad brings she usually has to water. She's kind of lazzy, more a procastenater but we all are! She definatly deserves the thanks. I'm just guesing but I take it your finding out for your self just how hard it is.
P.S. Even though understandable there's no mercy when she forgets to water the plants [Mad] .
anyways thanks again.

-
by Flower on February 07, 2004 06:05 AM
Hi Apples....

There is a surprisingly large amount of things you can grow inside. I've grown Tiny Tim tomatoes in the winter...in a sunny window. Nothing like fresh tomatoes.

Some of the bushy dwarf tomatoes work well indoors. Florida Petit, Minibel and Tiny Tim ... along with those ones you see in hanging baskets...Tumbler. They only need a sunny spot and to be watered regularly. Feed them and stake them as needed. You can tap the stems to aid pollination.

Cucumbers can be grown indoors too. The F1 Hybrid Fembaby does well....but you have to have the space for it. This one grows only 3 feet tall so it's a little more manageable. The yellow flowers are all female and should each produce a cucumber. Make sure you water them well, and mist the leaves daily.

Some other plants to think about are...

Egg plant
strawberry
Sweet Peppers
Mushrooms
Orka
Parsley
Mint
Lettuce
Mustard and cress
Chives

Good luck!

-
by apples on February 07, 2004 06:39 AM
Thanks flower, I had been thinking of the mushrooms( saw a pic of indoor once looked impressive)cucumber and also the strawberries. Do you think my sweet peppers that I got the seeds from a pepper bought at store will fruit or is there no way of realy knowing? [dunno]

-
by Flower on February 07, 2004 06:42 AM
Your more than welcome Apples. Yeah...I do think they will flower and fruit....if they have enough light and water.

I agree...mushrooms would be way cool to grow. That is one thing I haven't tried yet. You can often find kits....and all you have to do is keep it dark and moist.

Have fun...and keep us posted.

-
by apples on February 07, 2004 07:25 AM
Out of boardom I will bring up to date so far. My pepper seedlings are about three and a quarter inches and are starting to put out there first new leaves. My orange plant at the moment has a bunch of yummy little sour oranges developing.
When I bought it I took a few cuttings from it two are doing well it seems cause they don't seem to be changing where as one slowly died insted. Another one had a mature orange that haden't ripend yet and after it did the plant seemed to be dieing like the other one but insted of decomposing like the other one it seemed to harden off and looks like it might have buds. I cut them off because I diddn't like the shape and plan on giving them to freinds. I also rescued a pineaple top from a loblawas display but I think I made the fiber core thing too thin and I might have let it dry out to much but I don't realy know. I know they don't usualy fruit indoors but was thinking of trying to heat the roots some how and misting it constently. Any ideas on a root heating device? Thats all for now but I'm happy to keep whoever's interested informed.
Bye from josh.

-
by Flower on February 07, 2004 03:08 PM
Sounds like your having fun trying different things. You never know what's gonna grow....and it's fun just tring even if these things wont fruit in the house. Keep it up!

-
by Flower on February 07, 2004 03:11 PM
You can buy heat mats at garden centers. You set your pots on these....and plug em in. You can adjust the heat so that it delivers temperature. They aren't too expensive...but they aren't very big either.

Some people use the top of the fridge...it gets warm up there too...as long as you give them more light after they germinate.

I use an old heating thing from an old water bed. It has a temperature control....and is quite large. It sits on my window bench....It may not look pretty....but it does the job!

-
by apples on February 07, 2004 09:28 PM
Thanks for the tips.
The pinapple seem to be a pretty nice plant by it's self. That's the original reason I wanted to try and grow it but once I realized it could fruit I got hungry. [grin]

-
by Flower on February 07, 2004 10:28 PM
ok....now your making me hungry...for a ham and pineapple pizza!

-
by Jiffymouse on February 07, 2004 10:35 PM
not nice flower, now i want one! [Big Grin]
by Flower on February 07, 2004 11:07 PM
Let's order in....Bill's paying!

-
by apples on February 08, 2004 12:06 AM
Don't worry bout it Bill!
[img]http:www.papaguidospizza.com/images/food/haw[img]
I had one in the oven! [grin]

-
by apples on February 08, 2004 12:08 AM
ouu...
That didn't work at all! [dunno]

-
by rue anemone on February 08, 2004 04:08 PM
I have a lot of houseplants that go outside over the summer and are back inside during the winter. The houseplants actually do better in the basement than the house. I think because of the heating.

hear are a few ideas:

[flower] the air in basement is often stale and fans might help

[flower] I have basement windows and I put mirrors up to help increase the light and not have to use the electricity all the time

I am having a mental block here. What is the shiny stuff that hellium balloons are made out of? Well anyway I have been told that it actually reflect the light better than mirrors or the types of rays that you need.

-
 -
by rue anemone on February 08, 2004 04:09 PM
HELP!

I need a proof read!

-
 -
by Jillie on February 08, 2004 04:16 PM
Mylar??? [grin]

-
 -
by rue anemone on February 08, 2004 04:32 PM
That`s it, thanks.

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 08, 2004 04:55 PM
Rue,
I was just reading that!!!!!!!!
In my book called
"Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew........
I am not kidding.
It said something to the effect that if you have
a plant that requires a little bit more light,
Tinfoil can be used under it as a mulch like and behind a plant for more reflective light to bounce back onto the plants.

I would think that would definately work inside too!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on February 08, 2004 04:56 PM
I wonder if mirrors under it and behind it
would give the same properties!!!!
Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by apples on February 08, 2004 09:23 PM
Hey, I think thats what those emergency heating blankets are made of and I have a few of them. They're only like a buck at canadian tire! I think basements are a lot more humid to and that helps them more also. Thanks for all the good tips, I'm feeling better about this project every day! [Wink]

-

Active Garden Forum